cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PEX pipe and fittings

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
Starcraft Antigua 2005, Water manifold made of PEX and those one-time crimp hose clamps leak. See pics below. the black plastic PEX "T" somehow cracked on a diagonal across the intersection and streams water. I go to Home Depot and match the same size PEX "T" with a PEX brass "T". I decide to use "real" hose clamps, you know the worm type adjustable screw so that I can re-use, relocate adjust, etc. Now all three locations where the PEX is clamped over the pipe onto the fitting leak. I have them cranked down beyond tight. WTH? I imagine I should replace the whole manifold due to age but what works best here? Any help?

51 REPLIES 51

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Could have about done all that in threaded brass fittings.
Looks bullet proof. Need to flip that middle valve when in use.

X2

Got it! dont mix the hot cold!
DW

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I just remembered that the system on my boat where work was done on the Pex had Shark fittings. I guess Iโ€™ll use them for this project.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
"Pexlock" is from Flair-it. The clamps are made from plastic, the same type of plastic as the fitting the OP had split on him. Very little info. that I can find on them. I can't find anything that says the clamps are permitted by code.

Not something I would use. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat copper PEX rings. A proper PEX crimper can be had for as low as $30 and the rings are dirt cheap.

The plastic rings may or may not be OK, but the plastic tees and elbows are definitely not. The OP is not alone in having issues because of them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Pexlock" is from Flair-it. The clamps are made from plastic, the same type of plastic as the fitting the OP had split on him. Very little info. that I can find on them. I can't find anything that says the clamps are permitted by code.

Not something I would use. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat copper PEX rings. A proper PEX crimper can be had for as low as $30 and the rings are dirt cheap.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what size Pexlock would be for the hoses in an RV? Do they measure by ID which I guess is a 1/2 โ€œ or OD?

** On Edit ** I see these are combo fitting/clamps available in pretty much any size so they come in matched sets.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
in5r wrote:
There are new fittings (clamps) out there for pex now. No special tool required, only a pair of pliers. The clamps are rated for 180 degrees and 100psi if I'm not mistaken. Look up plastic pex clamps. Relatively new I believe. I myself have not tried them, just throwing the info out there. Called pexlock.

I think that is what they used when they the houses in my area
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Looks bullet-proof. That's one repair that will never have to be done again.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
yeah....but no thanks, that uses the same black plastic inserts that leaked which I replaced here!

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
There are new fittings (clamps) out there for pex now. No special tool required, only a pair of pliers. The clamps are rated for 180 degrees and 100psi if I'm not mistaken. Look up plastic pex clamps. Relatively new I believe. I myself have not tried them, just throwing the info out there. Called pexlock.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
So I replaced the entire manifold of piping, valves and fittings with SharkBite and PEX....heres the before and after, no leaks.
Before:

After:

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
hybrid dw wrote:
I plan to try these fixed elbows to replace the plastic swivel elbows. Have to get the threads on the tank wrapped with enough teflon tape to have it leak free and at the correct direction for pipe fit.

I asked HD and Lowes and neither carry Flair-it fittings. That looks like a plan B if this tank connection doesnt work.

For those fixed elbows -use sealing paste like rector seal instead of Teflon tape.

Some Ace Hardware stores have Flair-it fittings....

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to try these fixed elbows to replace the plastic swivel elbows. Have to get the threads on the tank wrapped with enough teflon tape to have it leak free and at the correct direction for pipe fit.

I asked HD and Lowes and neither carry Flair-it fittings. That looks like a plan B if this tank connection doesnt work.