cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best tire gauge for 60 psi tires

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a new one. Don't need NASCAR quality. My old digital gauge battery went South and I was pretty comfortable with that gauge.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton
18 REPLIES 18

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I like analog gauges (no batteries to worry about). I use this one. (Amazon) It does the job.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Well, like some situations, the operation on the digital gauge with a new 3 V battery was a complete success. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost the patient, gauge now reads 1.0 from any tire.

According to the Herb Tarlek philosophy

"Consistency Is A Virtue"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Well, like some situations, the operation on the digital gauge with a new 3 V battery was a complete success. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost the patient, gauge now reads 1.0 from any tire.
Yeah, I had about the same results.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Chiming In

DURABLE

ACCURATE

READABLE

The readings on my gauge flash for 5 seconds then blank. I would like one that holds the LCD reading longer. Any suggestions? Consumer Reports did a test and declared all they tested to be "Unbelievably Accurate"
There's a couple reasons I like the Slime gauges:

1. The display is backlit, and the tip is lit making it easy to use and read.

2. It's easy to hold and get a decent reading.

3. The display lasts about 90 seconds. I have several that are a couple years old and still running on the original battery.

I have 5 of them and they are all within a couple psi of each other.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chiming In

DURABLE

ACCURATE

READABLE

The readings on my gauge flash for 5 seconds then blank. I would like one that holds the LCD reading longer. Any suggestions? Consumer Reports did a test and declared all they tested to be "Unbelievably Accurate"

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
...My Milton mechanical gauges have gone MIA. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I like Milton mechanical gauges. Here's a 10-70 psi Milton pencil gauge on eBay.

There's also the 20-120 psi version.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
The electronic accutire worked well for me except in the extreme cold (way below freezing)) after leaving it out in the truck over night.

Current one is a mechanical dial gauge with a hose extension that goes to 120psi. It reads and holds the max pressure; you reset to zero with a little button or use that to bleed the pressure down to what you want.

Similar to this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Accutire-Heavy-Duty-Dial-Tire-Gauge-MS5010/204488012
Thanks for the link and suggestion. For the price of that mechanical gauge, I might pick one of those up, also. My Milton mechanical gauges have gone MIA. ๐Ÿ˜ž
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
The electronic accutire worked well for me except in the extreme cold (way below freezing)) after leaving it out in the truck over night.

Current one is a mechanical dial gauge with a hose extension that goes to 120psi. It reads and holds the max pressure; you reset to zero with a little button or use that to bleed the pressure down to what you want.

Similar to this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Accutire-Heavy-Duty-Dial-Tire-Gauge-MS5010/204488012
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Can you replace the battery in the gauge you have? Even if it's not advertised/intended to be replaced, I'd try opening it up and seeing if it could reasonably be changed; after all, there's nothing to lose but a tire pressure gauge that isn't working anyhow.
The gauge is going onto the table in the AM. Like said, nothing to lose and a pack of those A76 batteries are cheap. The original digital gauge I have is similar to the Accutire mentioned above. It worked well for over ten years.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have tried a few over the years and when I found This One it fit all my needs,rugged,easy to read and use on Class C and all my other vehicles.

Each one has one of these in their glove box.

I use these as well. Got lucky when I bought them. Amazon had 2 packs for 11 bucks.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at a Harley store and buy one of their good ones.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've tried a couple of those, the Accutire ones, and just can't get used to them. They just feel awkward to me. The quality is there, but just can't get used to the feel of them.

I had a battery die on one of my digital ones, not the slime, and took it apart to see if I could replace it. I discovered when I disassembled it that even the air chamber came apart. Trying to reassemble so the air chamber wouldn't leak was an exercise in frustration. Haven't taken one apart since.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Can you replace the battery in the gauge you have? Even if it's not advertised/intended to be replaced, I'd try opening it up and seeing if it could reasonably be changed; after all, there's nothing to lose but a tire pressure gauge that isn't working anyhow.

I bought a new digital for 6 bucks and took the batteries out and replaced the old ones. The new unit was junk but to buy the batteries it was more than the unit.. works for me.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.