cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Birth Of The Gigawatt

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jim in Denver's Megawatt has been perverted. Larger toroid choke, 80 amp 150 volt diodes rather than 30 amp 100 volt. Panasonic 680uf caps, 10x more airflow via two external roof fans. And...

57.2 amperes* into 12.0 volts for 9 hours and 10 more or less minutes. 16.67 wide open volts. Didn't even breathe hard. Cool to touch on rectifiers and bi-polar transistors. Like having a Derringer 12-gauge.

I did delta the three positive and three negative circuit board terminal strip output screws. Total fans drive current .84 amps. Transistor life will be a "maybe".

*three instruments verification

Tinker Tinker Tinker ...
30 REPLIES 30

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The secret of more amperage is...choke...choke...it is politically incorrect straight D.C. but it has multiple body piercing (fans) but no tatts. It would never make the cover of Time or People magazine like A Buff and Beyonce.

Sounds an impressive project to take on.

Toroidal Transformer does have qualities that is better than regular generic rectangular shaped core.
Not only that it is more efficient on a given size, it possesses better magnetic leak shielding, thus, minimizing hum in sensitive audio/video equipment.

Yes, EMF shows lines on my TV. . . and with all these complexities of new electronics, these lines even show up on my forehead and even more increasing as days go by.

One blaring disadvantage over conventional (rectangular core) transformer is cost. Hence, toroidal converters cost more than conventional model. Frankly, I don't think they make this rectangular core for RV any more. They are too heavy.

Since the coil has to be wound around doughnut shaped laminates, production is slow compared to rectangular laminates.

You did mention gigawatt. What exactly is the projected output in watts?

Interesting project indeed. . . care to share the result?

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
What in the world is this topic discussing?
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
... bi-polar transistors. ....
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
..Mex, the bi polar transistors would be more stable on a lithium regimen.
Mental health week. :h
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Jim in Denver's Megawatt has been perverted. Larger toroid choke, 80 amp 150 volt diodes rather than 30 amp 100 volt. Panasonic 680uf caps, 10x more airflow via two external roof fans. And...

57.2 amperes* into 12.0 volts for 9 hours and 10 more or less minutes. 16.67 wide open volts. Didn't even breathe hard. Cool to touch on rectifiers and bi-polar transistors. Like having a Derringer 12-gauge.

I did delta the three positive and three negative circuit board terminal strip output screws. Total fans drive current .84 amps. Transistor life will be a "maybe".

*three instruments verification

Tinker Tinker Tinker ...

Mex, the bi polar transistors would be more stable on a lithium regimen.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
AND IM RETORTING PRODANT139 TOO FOR ONLY SAIDING SAFE THINGS.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a variable output and is it regulated?
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Laughs ... it's a "Mex topic", you just keep reading till you find enough words you know to make a sentence, then hope it makes sense. :h :B
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well done, Mex! (I have no idea for what, but I figured it was a safe thing to say.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Well it sounds powerful, whatever it is.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
IM RETORTING YOU ALL TO THE POWERS THAT ARE.

Me too. I think it is about " Jim in Denver's Megawatt " .......whatever that is......
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Thanks, I was worried it was just me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
IM RETORTING YOU ALL TO THE POWERS THAT ARE.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
It's unfortunate that there is so much choking going on in DC, lots of resistance too. It with a song in our hearts and nails in our tongues we fordge ahud.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The secret of more amperage is...choke...choke...it is politically incorrect straight D.C. but it has multiple body piercing (fans) but no tatts. It would never make the cover of Time or People magazine like A Buff and Beyonce.