cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blackjack Ultra Roof 1000 white siliconized roof coating??

willow1957
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Learning female here. I just purchased a 1999 5th wheel. The roof needs some TLC and I was all set to purchase this product Blackjack 1000 ultra roof coating. I have read in other forums about other people using this but when I read the Precautions on the can it specifically says DO NOT use on TPO or rubber roofs. I am assuming I have the rubber roof but I do NOT know what a TPO roof is. Can anyone explain that to me? Like I said others have used it on rubber but others say do not use it. I need help making a decision. Money wise this would be great for me, but if you think I shouldn't use it can you please recommend the next best product that won't cost me a arm and a leg. I thank you all for input. I am a newbie and just learning so what's the difference between a rubber roof and a TPO roof please.
4 REPLIES 4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
unless you have either an aluminum, or fiberglass roof, it is probably either tpo or rubber so either way DO NOT USE IT. if you remove the inner ring of any roof top opening vent you will see fabric stapled down, the materials do look different but since they say not to use on either, it is a no brainer. don't
bumpy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
willow1957 wrote:
Hello, Learning female here. I just purchased a 1999 5th wheel. The roof needs some TLC and I was all set to purchase this product Blackjack 1000 ultra roof coating. I have read in other forums about other people using this but when I read the Precautions on the can it specifically says DO NOT use on TPO or rubber roofs. I am assuming I have the rubber roof but I do NOT know what a TPO roof is. Can anyone explain that to me? Like I said others have used it on rubber but others say do not use it. I need help making a decision. Money wise this would be great for me, but if you think I shouldn't use it can you please recommend the next best product that won't cost me a arm and a leg. I thank you all for input. I am a newbie and just learning so what's the difference between a rubber roof and a TPO roof please.

TPO is a synthetic rubber like material which IS made from petroleum products..

If the Blackjack manufacturer specifically states not to use, you really SHOULD HEED THAT WARNING!

There is a very good chance that Blackjack material contains petroleum distillates which WILL attack any synthetic and natural rubber along with vinyl and severally damage the existing roofing.

As stated, unless the roof is showing BLACK you should never apply any other material over top. If you do it WILL be a very short term "fix" at best. When roofing turns black that means it's life is over and having NEW roofing put on is the proper fix.

If roof is not leaking and just looks discolored (IE not white) just ignore the discoloration..

Also, NEVER USE ANY PRODUCT THAT CONTAINS SILICONE!!!

The reason for that is NOTHING, not even other silicone products will ever stick to cured silicone and cleaning old silicon is a real bummer of a chore and often results in the next caulking to fail stick where ever you failed to get it clean enough.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unless the white protective layer is thin and black is showing through, there's no need for stuff like that. Just make sure the caulking isn't cracked and there are no other obvious issues.
If you have any kind or membrane type roof then that product is not for you.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Is the roof leaking? If not, do nothing. It it is, find the source of the leak and seal it with eternabond.

I would not use a product with silicone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.