cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BoonHauler Solar Project

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
I told a few of you that I would post my Solar build here as well so here we go.

I had originally planed for an 800 watt array but since then I decided to double the size and I'm now at 1650 watts.

As some of you are aware I purchased six (6) SolarWorld โ€˜Sunmodule Protectโ€™ series 275 Watt panels for my project. After much research I personally believe the SolarWorld โ€˜Protectโ€™ panels are the most rugged and robust solar panels on the market today.

Hereโ€™s a pic of them coming in off the truck.

The panels are a 24 volt 60 cell configuration thatโ€™s roughly 66โ€ x 38โ€ in size, hereโ€™s a look at the panel.

The panels come pre-drilled for a two rail mounting system but being this was not going to be a standard static mount I decided to set them up as a three rail mount system. Here Iโ€™m drilling the panel side rails third (center) mounting hole.

I wanted the panel mount system to be fully tiltable in one axis. Here in this pic you can see the mounting system on one panel completed and ready for roof top installation.

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614
27 REPLIES 27

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, centralized monitoring and control panel. I'd bet once you get it all dialed in with MSView, your batteries will be as healthy as possible.

If you get a chance, post up the real time numbers from your array.

Real professional installation, BTW.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
In regards to the question about monitoring the system, when I get around to it (and itโ€™s not very high on the priority list), is to network the two controllers with my on-board computer.

This will allow me to install Morningstarโ€™s โ€˜MS Viewโ€™ software. With their software Iโ€™ll be able to monitor power output as well as customize the charge profiles of each controller (the same profile for each controller). For now Iโ€™ve just set the controllers to one of Morningstarโ€™s preloaded charge profiles for FLA batteries (Absorb stage 14.7 โ€“ Float stage 13.5 โ€“ Equalize stage 15.4).

All in all I think the solar system is just going to be operating in the background with the TriMetric battery monitor doing the bulk of the overall system monitoring. The nice thing about the parallel wiring is that it gives me a great deal of load control if I see the need for it in the future.

All network components are being roughed in right now and then down the road Iโ€™ll complete the installation and get the software up and running. You can see in the pictures with the front of the controllers open a yellow & blue LAN cable, one plugged into each controller. From the controllers the LAN cables go to a hub, in my case an old Linksys Router that I had laying around to act as the hub and from there up to the computer/entertainment center location.

Hereโ€™s a pic of the router installed. The light brown cable behind the router is the CAT5e cable that goes up to the entertainment center and still needs to be terminated.

I thought Iโ€™d throw this pic in as well; itโ€™s the completed installation of the monitors and various switching.

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yup. Ty.

BoonHauler wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Could you share with us why you chose to do the tilting in the manner in which you have?

Hey Don, the panels tilt in both directions along the long axis of the panel. This allows for tilt to either side of the trailer.

Does this help with the tilt thing?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
For the TriStar CCs, are you going to have individual LCD panels on them, or will they go to a networked panel? I personally like having individual monitors on them, assuming the CCs are in an accessible area, just to see the good/bad/ugly at a glance.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Very professionally done there. Well thought out and well executed. I feel there are some that would pay you top dollar for your level of engineering and workmanship down at Quartzsite.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BoonHauler wrote:
As it turns out the power conversion is a little better going from 24 to 12 rather than the high.
Yah, like you have to worry about efficiency! ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know what you're running with this.. a machine shop or what, but I can't wait to see your battery bank.

2 Old:

Well I don't know about a 'Machine Shop' but I do have an A/C I'd like to run..... ๐Ÿ™‚

I have power tools (compressor, etc) that I'll be running off the system as well.
2014 BoonHauler 3614

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Could you share with us why you chose to do the tilting in the manner in which you have?

Hey Don, the panels tilt in both directions along the long axis of the panel. This allows for tilt to either side of the trailer.

Does this help with the tilt thing?
2014 BoonHauler 3614

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Here Iโ€™ve reinstalled the #2 GA cabling between the SCCโ€™s and the main battery bank buss bars. The exposed buss bar between the controllers is the Negative Buss. The Positive cable between the two circuit breakers is #4 GA as well as the rest of the cabling between the breakers and buss bars on both Line and Load sides.

And here all the above mentioned cabling has been installed.

Here you can see the cabling from the SCCโ€™s going down the right side. Thatโ€™s all #2 GA as I mentioned above. I twisted it to hopefully cancel any EMI that maybe coming from the Charge Controllers.

and here the main buss bar wiring has been completed

and here the controllers are closed up. The controllers are Morningstar, TriStar - MPPT - 60 Amp

hereโ€™s a link TriStar MPPT

Thereโ€™s a little loose wiring on the right side. That will be completed once the garage lighting is installed and beavertail control wiring is completed.

2014 BoonHauler 3614

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Salvo wrote:
You got it covered for the rising, and setting sun. .
The tilts are really going to be in opposite directions? (Yes, I saw the picture)

The panels are tilted that way to facilitate construction only. I'll most likely leave them flat but it's nice having the option to tilt if I want.
2014 BoonHauler 3614

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BoonHauler wrote:
As it turns out the power conversion is a little better going from 24 to 12 rather than the high.
Yah, like you have to worry about efficiency! ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know what you're running with this.. a machine shop or what, but I can't wait to see your battery bank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I would have chosen 48 volts input to the controllers, as they are going to need to be MPPT. Nice work with great attention to detail.

Don:

I actually went round and round on this subject. As it turns out the power conversion is a little better going from 24 to 12 rather than the high.

It would have been easier to wire though........
2014 BoonHauler 3614

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Salvo wrote:
You got it covered for the rising, and setting sun. .
The tilts are really going to be in opposite directions? (Yes, I saw the picture)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
I like it!

You got it covered for the rising, and setting sun. You probably added more tilt braces.