cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottle Jack question

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do they make a hydraulic bottle jack with a removable large flat base ?
For instance an 8" x 8" metal plate?

My small bottle jack lifts one of my trailer tandem axles with ease, but I always fear that it might tip due to it's narrow base.

I have a hydraulic Jack with wheels, (similar to the ones the tire shops use but it is not only heavy to lug around in the truck, I also need a cheater bar to use it.
Also it is a pain to lift the handle from under the trailer

jack L
Jack & Nanci
9 REPLIES 9

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1-1/2" piece of angle iron 3" long welded to the screw cap on the jack. Be careful where you clip the welder ground. No more slipping.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
Never saw one Jack, but IMHO I'm sure that most welding shops could make one fairly easily.

Get a good bottle jack and they could attach a plate.

Ditto on that.. just a flat metal plate.. Attachment is optional but can be simply accomplishd.

have them slice you a nice flat plate and drill a 1/2 inch hold near the edge..What is the hole for? Well when you go to pull the plate out from under the RV.. Use your awning hook to pull it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone

After I posted this yesterday, I screwed around in my shop, and made one out of a piece of 3/4" x8" square plywood with clips that hold the jacks base to it.
I used wing nuts to hold down the clips.
After looking at the replies here, I see one that is designed similar, but their base is not as big.

If it ever stops raining here, I'll try it out

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
And aas always,,, make sure that the jack is located on the spring shakle area NOTE ON THE AXLE ITSELF!
You can bend the axle very easy and ruin your day, plus tires.
My 25C
Chuck

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a foot square 1/2" aluminum plate with half inch by half inch by quarter inch angle tack migged for a bracket. All 4 sides have a cutout for the release valve.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do they make a hydraulic bottle jack with a removable large flat base?

Hi Jack,
Bogert Manufacturing offers a line of products called "Safe Jack" that do exactly what you're looking for. Their stuff is widely used and well regarded by the overlanding community.
Cheers,
-Mark

On edit; Overlanding, not overloading 🙂
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I generally put a piece of 2x8 under mine. I usually adjust the brakes on a loose stone parking area. I've only had one split once and that was well before it had lifted off the ground. The stone is large and shifts.

I would think 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood should do the job quite well. You could check for a metal fab shop for a piece of 1/4" boiler plate.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend carried one of These in his lifted p/u for use when of pavement
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Never saw one Jack, but IMHO I'm sure that most welding shops could make one fairly easily.

Get a good bottle jack and they could attach a plate.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006