cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken plug ion Atwood water heater

GordonH
Explorer
Explorer
I have just broken the plastic plug on our heater. Has anyone any suggestions re removing the broken piece. A wedge might help but of course I do not have a wedge. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gordon.
11 REPLIES 11

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I really hate it when people suggest using a tool to cut the plug. As you found out the treads are aluminum and can be EASILY damaged. Lucky you could cut new ones without having a further problem.

Wolfe had the correct answer. Here is a thread I did showing how it's done. It is cheap and very simple with no problem of wrecking the threads. If it doesn't do the trick then resort to more destructive ways.

EASY PLUG REMOVAL WITH PICTURES
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

GordonH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did manage to remove the broken plug BUT damaged the threads. Worried about the problem overnight then went to a good plumbing company in town. They lent me a tool to re-repair the heater threads and things are AOK.What's the next problem?????????? Gordon.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine out with a pipe nipple remover purchased from Harbor Freight.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Broken Plug Remover
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When I had an Atwood WH I heated up the tip of a flat blade screw driver with a hand held propane torch. I pushed it into the plug (it melted it's way in,) and I was able to turn and remove it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
There is a tool to remove broken sprinkler risers that will work if you carefully drill out the middle of the plug. It has a T handle and an easyout type end on it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Home Depo and get the tool for removing broken sprinkler heads. It is square and will work fine for removing the remainder of the plug.

When putting in the new Atwood nylon plug, be sure to wrap it with 2.5 turns of Teflon tape. Will make extraction much easier next time.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine out with a screwdriver and an ice pick. And you MUST replace it with a plastic plug. Do not use brass, or steel or you will never be able to remove it again due to galvanic corrosion.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Take it out in pieces using needle nose pliers.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
A friend punched through his broken plug then used a hack saw blade to carefully cut down to the threads. He was careful not to cut into the threads. He then started breaking out pieces . Once he got a little out the remaining portion came out pretty easy.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Moved from Forum Technical Support