Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building A Surge Suppressor

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
So I got tired of dealing with "ottabees"

My eight circuit Belken "soige sapressah" gets ripped apart tonight. The few MOVS inside must have had more spike holes punched in them than a cheese grater. Like all MOV devices the components are dead weight. They wouldn't contain a finish nail never mind a real spike.

In goes the following...

2,200 joules worth of MOVs

A 210 ampere gas tube discharge device

Three bi-directional 188-volt TVS avalanche diodes.

I'll bet these MOV's live longer than the almost 2-years on the Belken MOVs. MOVs wear out. The more transient volts spikes the faster they roll over and play dead. The house I am in now has not yielded RMS voltage in excess of 122 that I know about.

I purchased the components on eBay rather than through Mouser, or Jameco.

Ain't no way Jose, anything taller than 188-volts is getting through. The 188 is peak-to-peak and is appropriate for 127 volt RMS rated power down here. The now-genuine surge protector will accompany me to hotels.

I'd be glad to share the particulars with anyone. The components will protect a 30-amp 120 volt service with ease, and different model numbers would do the same with a 50-amp 240 service. The 240 service, would protect both phases to neutral, and everything with earth ground.
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

That is exceedingly kind of you. Information has been sent in a private message.

I'm afraid I don't understand why there are only 3 wires. But I never claimed to understand surge protection, either. I'll google it, I guess.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Three wires. 10" in length. Black, white, and green. Self-explanatory.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Senor Mex, Last time I checked Photobucket didn't slap me across my head! So I'll PM you a email address and will post your pics.

Not that PB hasn't tried... not that PB hasn't sent me many emails about their once in a life time offer... not that PB hasn't... Actually PB seems alright it's just that I can pick up my simple family photos from the local drug stores in a few hours...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Senor Pianotuna, I am going to build you a 1-3/4" X 1-1/2" circuit board. When I go north I will send it via UPS to Saskatchewan. You need to PM me your mail and package address.

The gas tube discharge device is rated at 5000 amps. 180 volts peak-to-peak on the Transient Voltage Suppressors, and 250 volts on the multiple MOVs.

The board will have nylon standoffs on all 4 corners. A small sheet metal screw passes through the circuit board, through the hollow standoff, then through the rear wall of your AC breaker box.

Three wires. 10" in length. Black, white, and green. Self-explanatory.

And, oh, this is a gift. It will be declared as such with a value of eighteen cents Canadian. Ottawa is awash in Loonies. They need none from me...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OK time for confession...

Photobucket changed and I'm too stupid to figure it out.

Used to be upload an image then select copy and download to a site. Can't find the download link with URL for the selected image.

Computer digital management advances and I get behinder and behinder.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bring back pix if you can
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

120 volt, 30 amp will work for me. A stand alone box that is small enough to fit the "mouse hole". I use standard 30 amp male and female plugs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Will do seeyore Don-

For a 120-volt or a 240-volt?
Protection on the rig's shore power? Might as well place it where it can help snub the generator burps as well. This means installing the components in the main breaker panel.

And NO - properly connected components will NOT affect insurance coverage. Thermal device protection is in line with UL certified device design. Means connection to a 4-terminal euroterminal block for safety. Easy to do - sub assembly on bench drill two screw holes in breaker panel for terminal block, screw to rear of breaker panel then connect three color coded wires. (4) MOVs, (2) gas tube discharge devices and (4) TVS avalanche diodes.

Going on a tour tomorrow. 22-Megawatt steam turbine plant. Siemens equipment. Whatever they're using for turbine speed regulation is near unbelievable - 59.95 - 60.02 Hz stability. Satellite dishes. Stack scrubbers. It's six years old and could be in Switzerland, the USA or Japan.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

I'd love it if you would share "the particulars" with me. How about just posting them on the forum--that way all comers would benefit.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Would 20 KT at 60,000 meters do it?

This is Mexico. The sine wave down here looks like a fossilized incisor from a Carchadon Megalodon. More spikes than a roadway pull-out.

The MOVs in the Belken are d-e-a-d. I doubt one in 20 surge protectors anywhere that have more than two years on them have much suppression (if any) left. Yes this means in the USA, too. i'd love to haul my 40 lb isolation transformer to a hotel with me but it has sharp edges and hurts if dropped on the toes.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
All ya need is a good EMP to test that sucker...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350