cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bulging siding on fifth wheel?

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Layton fifth wheel and the siding is bulging at a seam. The siding is sticking out about 2 inches right where two pieces of siding come together. Is the siding on the lower piece nailed to the trailer and then the upper piece put on? If that's the case then I most likely will need to remove the upper piece to fix it. Or is there another way to do this.

Thanks,

Bob
5 REPLIES 5

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to try and remove the top of the piece below like Doug said. The upper piece is about 12 inches wide. If this isn't doable I will probably use screws.

Bob

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF the siding is metal and not laminated, then the upper piece of metal, the staples have pulled out of the wood studs. There are 2 ways to fix this type problem.
1. You remove any appliances on the area of the metal and if the metal is wide enough, you pop out the lower piece and then restaple the upper "S" lock to the studs and angle the staples.
2. IF the metal is not wide enough to bend and pop out, you have to remove the metal from the bottom and go up until you get to the loose piece and then staple it.
3. On a 21 year old trailer, what I would do is locate each wood stud, install a washer head screw thru the outside metal at each stud to pull the loose metal in. I would then remove each new screw, inject silicone into the hole and reinstall each screw to weatherseal the new screws. Doug

Freelander
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aluminum siding on trailers usually starts at the top and goes on each piece under the previous piece. To remove, start at the bottom, after removing all obstructions such as windows or other opening covers assemblies. It could simply be an attachement staple pulling out or potentially water intrusion, but getting the siding removed should allow you to see what the problem really is.
Freelander

Don, Toni & Taren

Wilderness 5'r, F-250 SD
Want'n to be Free'r

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like delamination from water damage. Posting a picture of your bulge might help others see what your problem is. Removing the panel and adjoining panel might be required.
good luck keep us posted
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like water got in there from somewhere. Not sure exactly how everything comes apart though. Might be a job better suited for a repair place?