Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I add a wall thermostat?

txwpd103
Explorer
Explorer
AC Photo

I have a non-ducted Dometic AC that was added by the dealer in the bedroom of my 5r. It doesn't have any model #s on it! Hopefully link to photo above will work. Is it possible to add a wall thermostat to this type of unit?
2009 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB 4WD w/B&W Companion
2011 Forest River XLR 300x12
5 REPLIES 5

txwpd103
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I knew this had to have been previously encountered. I'm going to take a look at the Dometic ducted install kit and also launch a call to Forest River to find out the extent of the factory prep in my XLR. I will use the AC mod relay method as my fall back. All the best to y'all.
2009 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB 4WD w/B&W Companion
2011 Forest River XLR 300x12

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my solution,about $25
AC mod
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way would be to use the Dometic ducted install kit- around $100. That would give you a thermostat and control box that is plug and play. Then you can either just remove the existing box and knobs and cover the holes, or leave them in place but not functional.
FWIW, Dometic makes that air distribution box for wall thermostat applications- they just have a sticker covering the holes.
-- Chris Bryant

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
If you had a wiring diagram showing how the unit's temperature is currently controlled, then I or someone else may be able to answer your question. There has to be an internal thermostat controlling the temperature. My guess is yes you can change how the unit is controlled. You would have to purchase a 12-volt DC thermostat.

Ray

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, but expensive. You will have to replace that inside shroud and controls with a NON control inside plenum. Then you will have to purchase a wall tstat kit that includes the control board and tstat that will install up in the AC unit and the run a tstat wiring from the AC to the area on the wall where you want to mount the tstat. Are you positive that the RV did not come prewired for a wall tstat? A Lot of RV's now have the tstat prewire. Doug