cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't start generator

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationeer from a private owner. About 5 weeks ago I stored the motorhome at a storage facility that does not offer a plugin. The RV sat for about 25 days. When I went out to exercise the generator I was unable to start it without the coach engine running. I drove the RV home and plugged it in for a week to get the batteries charged up; however, I still cannot start the generator from the house batteries. I get a very weak start sound and that's it. The meters show that the house batteries are 100% charged at about 12.6V, but there's just not enough "umph" to get the generator to turn over. The house DC circuits all appear to work, but no generator start-up unless the coach engine is running.
21 REPLIES 21

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward the issue of the batteries having reached their "end of life". I don't have the tools to really check the batteries properly, nor do I have a charger other than the one in the RV. I guess a trip to Camping World is now on my list.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are, the converter is original & has never been replaced. The older ones do not have the ability to charge, as the newer ones do. If that is the case, you may be able to put the batteries on a portable battery charger & bring them up to capacity. A good "smart charger" is best.
Also, if you have a hydrometer, that would be helpful.

2003 is old, & they be gone, but trying to charge them back to capacity & see if they will hold the charge is the best first step.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
PhrogPhlyer wrote:
I was also thinking the batteries went bad. They're from 2003 as best I can figure.

And yes, the battery status is from meter inside the RV, but I also put a meter on the battery and got 12+ volts. Don't have a load tester though.

12+ is not enough, they need to show 12.6 + to indicate a full charge.

If they are between 12.0 & 12.1 They are at approx. 50%

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
I was also thinking the batteries went bad. They're from 2003 as best I can figure.

And yes, the battery status is from meter inside the RV, but I also put a meter on the battery and got 12+ volts. Don't have a load tester though.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
PhrogPhlyer wrote:
The meters show that the house batteries are 100% charged at about 12.6V, but there's just not enough "umph" to get the generator to turn over.

Are you referring to the monitoring system in the coach ? If so, it is not a dependable source for actually knowing what the actual health of the batteries are.

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your batteries went south.