cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Care and feeding of my ex650?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of these nice purring little gennies used, and now I need to know what to do with it!

I have zero experience with small gas engines. Never had a gas lawnmower.

I dumped the gas out of it and ran it dry, on the suggestion of a friend. Now, should I get special ethanol-free gas for it? Or can I use regular? I suppose it predates unleaded regular...?

Should I add stabil? How much?

What do I need to do in terms of ongoing maintenance?

I think I can print out a manual, but I figure some of these aspects (like what fuel to run) will be outdated and I need to ask you guys.

I did get a gardening knee mat to put under it, on the advice of somebody here (smkettner?) but I don't have a rear rack for it yet.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
21 REPLIES 21

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
So OP, how is your EX650 working out for you on a daily basis? Did you get the oil changed and replaced with the proper oil in the proper quantity? Clean out, wash and re oil the foam air filter too?

Aw, Niner, thanks for asking :).

My van has been in the shop for 2 weeks, getting some electrical mods. I left the genny in it, so have not had it around to mess with. No time anyway! But today or this weekend I hope to get to it, change the oil, clean the air filter, get some nice (or decent) gas. That's why I dug up this thread, to refresh my memory. What is up with shop guys who keep out rigs forever?

I am happy to have my van back, anyway!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get 100 low lead at any small airport. Stuff has a 2 year shelf life with no additives. Price is around 5-6 bucks a gallon these days.

I work at an airport but don't bother with 100LL. I get <10% ethanol pump gas and put stabil or Lucas in the can when I get it.

However, I'll be south this winter so I'll fill the mower and snow blower with 100LL before I leave.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
So OP, how is your EX650 working out for you on a daily basis? Did you get the oil changed and replaced with the proper oil in the proper quantity? Clean out, wash and re oil the foam air filter too?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW,

I inherited an ex800 from my father in law - it wasn't running - hadn't been run in years.

I dumped the old fuel, flushed the tank and cleaned out (rebuilt) the carburetor.

Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter (it's a foam filter)

That was 13 years ago. I gave that generator to my brother in law. Since then, he's never cleaned the air filter, never changed the oil, never dumps the gas.

All he does is shut the generator down at the end of his trip and puts it away for months at a time.

It's still running.

I don't know what honda did to make this carb setup so robust, but it's just awesome! If I did this to my EU2000, it wouldn't run right.

Maybe the vintage that it was built was to have more "slop" in the design specifications because things were known to be problematic.

Bulletproof!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you guys are awesome, thank you!

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
If you are running your generator regularly and burning up a tankful of E10 gas every week or two, then fuel stabilizer or additive is unnecessary. If you are not using it regularly or burning a full tank of fuel in it every month, then you do need the additives.

If you buy ethanol free gasoline, it's a non issue, for up to a year or two. Still better to run the generator 1x a month under some load, to keep the carb clean.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
About 4 years ago both my Yamaha 1000 watt generator and my Kawasaki KLX250 motorcycle developed carburetor problems using E10 gas. I ran some SeaFoam through both and after that used only non-ethanol gas. Since then I have had no problems. Ethanol-free gas is also called non-oxygenated or recreational fuel.

Here's a link for stations selling non-ethanol gas:
Ethanol-free gas stations
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio,

I use whatever gas in my little EX650 ... and sometimes keep Stabil in it's gas storage can and sometimes not. It has never seemed to care much about the gas I use in it.

It was given to me back in the late 1980's in like-new condition and still looks and runs like new. I use the most expensive synthetic oil in it that I can find - Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I also use an E3 spark plug for a slightly less labored, smoother sound and longer run time per tank of fuel.

You can also use a shot of SeaFoam in it's tank once in awhile. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Ninerbikes, Do unused Stabil and oil go bad? I think I have both sitting around, in jugs a couple years old. Or do I have to go to the store?

Ductape, Is the air filter the fuzzy white stuff that lines the exhaust outlet, or something else? It is pretty clean, not perfect. Are you implying I can actually buy a new one? Should I?

Mr Wizard, do you mean that unleaded is ok???

Shake oil up thoroughly, to mix up additives. Is it full synthetic and the proper oil weight/grade? You just bought a generator you are counting on to fill up your batteries daily, don't cut corners or a few bucks on motor oil, it is the lifeblood of that new to you generator.
Stabil keeps just fine, just make sure you put the cap on securely for storage.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about the gas unless you are going to carry 5 gallons or more when using the generator. If you do carry that amount, mix the Stabil into the gas can. ISTR, the EX650 has a metal tank. If so keep the tank filled when stored. If it has a plastic tank, you can run it dry or keep it full, your choice.

Either E-10 gas is blended differently in different regions of the US or it is just bad on the West Coast. Here, in the Midwest, we've had it for years and nobody seeks any special gas for their small engines. For a few years, I maintained a fleet of small engines (*125) and all were stored for more than 6 mos. with E10 gas and Stabilizer. I didn't have any problems from the gas. During the six mos of summer use, all operated on E10 (no stabilizer) with no problem.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
OIC, the manual recommends unleaded! And >86 octane, <10% ethanol.

(I know they don't have leaded anymore, but I thought there is a kind with fake lead?)

Wow, this manual is great :B. Thanks, mbopp!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
There is No more leaded gas, unless maybe aviation gas, which is costly and hard to get
Some places sell alcohol free racing gas, used to buy it when I was restoring small vintage Honda motorcycles

I hear there's a place near where I live now that has alcohol free. But yeah, i was worried about getting it when out in the middle of nowhere.

Do these things have fuel filters that can be changed? I'm guessing if I add seafoam I will want to know.

MrWizard
There is No more leaded gas, unless maybe aviation gas, which is costly and hard to get
Some places sell alcohol free racing gas, used to buy it when I was restoring small vintage Honda motorcycles
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
That little generator just sits there and runs if you give it nice gas and fresh oil. If it stumbles or runs rough, add some Sea-Foam to the gas and run a medium load on it. Mines as good, maybe better than when I bought it in 1987
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350