cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 2000 inverter generators

duane124
Explorer
Explorer
just bought 2 re manufactured units and they work great... no problems sycning etc

the big prob is they go into overload when i try to turn my AC on..i can turn the fan on fine, it just wont even try to start the AC... i know the AC works because i can plug it in to a 110 outlet with a dogbone and it will start

i have a 1996 fleetwood savanna 30.5 foot fith wheel and i think the ducted AC is a 13.5 coleman

thoughts hints or suggestions? i read in the 200 plus page thread that a hard start capacitor might fix this issue?

to add: no i dont want or can buy 2 hondas...im on a fixed income so need to squeeze the best i can...ido have a champion 3500/4000 that runs everything but im trying to get away from that if i can
8 REPLIES 8

duane124
Explorer
Explorer
the unit is from 96 so when i have time im gonna see if the capacitor is going bad...now that im paying attention, it seems to lug and chug power up on shore power as well

and yes, i have the parallel kit..i had a 1500 watt heater running, a convection oven and still had the ummmph to run the microwave

sato4000
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have any luck with this? I have two champions and the parallel kit as well and they won't power the ac. I have a coachmen toyhauler. I tried turning everything off but the ac I also tried econ mode and regular mode. Nothing works. When the Ac goes on the Gen breakers go. They will power everything else though.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Start by turning off every AC breaker except the air conditioning, and see if it works.

Jim

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Stupid question, but you do have the parallel kit, right?

Also, someone on Forest River Forums put a time delay circuit on his AC fan. What this does, his compressor fires up, and 30 seconds later (or something like that), his fan comes on.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

duane124
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
did you try it with 'Econ' mode on or off

try it with econ OFF on both gensets

also check to make sure fridge and water heater are not on electric

are your batteries charged?
if tne converter is using genset amps to bring up low batteries , then you are robbing power from the A/C

generators have a finite amount of power, they do'nt have the large surge capacity of shore power

that was one of my thoughts... the batteries are pretty much shot and pulling way to much in a perpetual charge cycle??

if i disconnect the batteries will it hurt anything? more importantly will i get a true bypass test? (no.. i dont know what im exactly asking other than by deleting the batteries will it help isolate the issue?)

eta: econ on and off.. all ac breakers thrown except for the air conditioner

etaX2...now that im thinking about it...when i plugged the camper in with all the AC breakers off, it did surge and stay at a higher rpm when i plugged the camper in... i guess that indicates a draw somewhere...i dont thing the CO2 would rev the gennies up... has to be a DC draw somewhere that is pulling on it

MrWizard
did you try it with 'Econ' mode on or off

try it with econ OFF on both gensets

also check to make sure fridge and water heater are not on electric

are your batteries charged?
if tne converter is using genset amps to bring up low batteries , then you are robbing power from the A/C

generators have a finite amount of power, they do'nt have the large surge capacity of shore power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

duane124
Explorer
Explorer
corrected the title... yup 2 gennies

i plugged my electric leaf blower into both gens... and they powered it up fine

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Did you buy two INVERTERS or two GENERATORS

If you bought two inverters, unless you have a huge battery system your A/C run time will probably be about 15 minutes.

If you bought two generators, there are other issues, assuming they are both working (actually outputing power) they should run an 13.5 A/C just fime.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.