cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 4000 watt open frame inverter genertaor

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Model #100302 No sexy looking plastic exterior. Looks like your typical small job site generator. Only about 2 lbs (dry ?) more than the 3400 watt model (it does have a larger engine and fuel tank). Specs say it is a bit louder (64.0?dBA vs 59.0?dBA)

Looking for real world feedback.
11 REPLIES 11

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Model #100302 No sexy looking plastic exterior. Looks like your typical small job site generator. Only about 2 lbs (dry ?) more than the 3400 watt model (it does have a larger engine and fuel tank). Specs say it is a bit louder (64.0?dBA vs 59.0?dBA)

64db ?? !!
Despite of what you been led to believe, there really are dum questions
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
You do realize a DB rise of 3 is double the volume...so your contractor's generator will be around 4 times as loud base.

Thanks for your input but I am looking for REAL WORLD feedback !

You realize, those numbers are from REAL WORLD tests.

Far more objective than someone who bought in and doesn't want to feel like an idiot after they made a poor choice.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
The Champion #100302 is an Inverter generator.

OP - I have this generator on my shopping list. Just looking for a good excuse so my wife buys into it.

Please give us a review if you do buy one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
You do realize a DB rise of 3 is double the volume...so your contractor's generator will be around 4 times as loud base.

Thanks for your input but I am looking for REAL WORLD feedback !

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

I own a different Champion 4000w open-frame contractor-style generator. Its decibel rating is 68db and I would NEVER use it in a campground.
This "hybrid" version is still 11db louder than my Honda inverter generator. Seeing that it's only 4db quieter than my regular Champion open-frame generator, I still wouldn't use it in a campground.
But for boondocking or at racing events, it would be fine.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
You do realize a DB rise of 3 is double the volume...so your contractor's generator will be around 4 times as loud based on the spec you show.

Also are you comparing apples to apples noise specs?
- Check the distance it is estimated at.
- Check the throttle level assumptions.

A good chance the contractor's unit is estimated from a greater distance and at a lower throttle setting.

Then you have fuel economy and power quality:
- If the air/con (or other heavy load) is cycling on and off, the inverter generator will typically use much less fuel because it will throttle way back when the load is off. A traditional generator must keep the RPM up to provide a steady 60hz.
- Related to this, inverter generators generally are better at keeping the 120v-60hz power clean. Traditional generators tend to slow down and the voltage sags when you apply a heavy load before the engine can catch up.

10-15yrs ago, it was pretty much Honda/Yamaha if you wanted a quiet quality inverter generator...today, there are lots of options many much cheaper than the name brand, so going with the contractor type doesn't make a lot of sense.

While a 3 db increase is a doubling of power, it is not a doubling of loudness. Loudness is subjective, but tests have been done using large numbers of individuals asking them to "turn up" a sound source to twice as loud, and the average comes out to around a 10db increase.

That said, open frame generators often produce more annoying sound even at the same sound pressure level as a enclosed generator. The only way to really compare generators is to listen to them...

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
...Then you have fuel economy and power quality:
- If the air/con (or other heavy load) is cycling on and off, the inverter generator will typically use much less fuel because it will throttle way back when the load is off. A traditional generator must keep the RPM up to provide a steady 60hz.
- Related to this, inverter generators generally are better at keeping the 120v-60hz power clean. Traditional generators tend to slow down and the voltage sags when you apply a heavy load before the engine can catch up...
...so going with the contractor type doesn't make a lot of sense
The Champion #100302 is an Inverter generator.

OP - I have this generator on my shopping list. Just looking for a good excuse so my wife buys into it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open frame generators are something I look to avoid when choosing a campsite, although sometimes that's difficult as everyone brings one. Then I might choose another campground.

There's nothing quite as annoying to me as their whoosh-whoosh and constant rattle. The sound carries for great distances.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Champion rates their open frame gennys at 68dB. So this unit falls just about halfway between a similar sized inverter (quiet) and a contractor genny (loud).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, a few years ago I was at a craft fair. One vendor had a Harbor Freight Predator generator (open frame). It was running a couple small refrigerators and a few lights.
It was really not loud and annoying, I was surprised at how quiet it was while running.
You didn't say how you want to use the generator.
Yes, it would be very annoying at a CG but for general use or emergency use at home it would be acceptable.
I'm sure a Champion is as quiet or a little quieter than the Predator.

I have a Wen 5500 open frame, it's rated at 82 db. It's loud.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You do realize a DB rise of 3 is double the volume...so your contractor's generator will be around 4 times as loud based on the spec you show.

Also are you comparing apples to apples noise specs?
- Check the distance it is estimated at.
- Check the throttle level assumptions.

A good chance the contractor's unit is estimated from a greater distance and at a lower throttle setting.

Then you have fuel economy and power quality:
- Related to this, inverter generators generally are better at keeping the 120v-60hz power clean. Traditional generators tend to slow down and the voltage sags when you apply a heavy load before the engine can catch up.

10-15yrs ago, it was pretty much Honda/Yamaha if you wanted a quiet quality inverter generator...today, there are lots of options many much cheaper than the name brand, so going with the contractor type doesn't make a lot of sense.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV