cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing oil & can only fit in half a quart :S - QG 4000

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
I just put an Onan QG 4000 in my RV. It was used and the fuel float was stuck, but I think we got that taken care of. Since fuel had gotten in oil, I tried to change the oil today. Seemed to all flow out easily since it had gas in it.

I went to add oil and after half a quart, it overflowed. Doesn't seem to be settling down in there. (capacity is 1.6 quarts)

Tomorrow I will drain again to see if that half quart comes out.

Any suggestions? Do you normally have to add a little at a time? I'm hoping I don't need to drop oil pan.

Concerning side note: Before I changed the oil, running the generator built up oil pressure, causing it to spray out the next time I opened the dipstick.
6 REPLIES 6

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, when I filled the oil on my 5500 Onan, I had to do it slowly to allow the air to "burp" out.

When I'm filled with beer I need to do it slowly to allow the air to "burp" out.
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
it does go slow, VERY, take your time.
Thanks Horsedoc, that doesn't sound all that strange when I think about it, great tip, I'll be trying it, it has to be faster and easier, I can put 6 quarts in the V-10 faster than I can put 1.5 qts in the generator. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, when I filled the oil on my 5500 Onan, I had to do it slowly to allow the air to "burp" out.

Or put the dip stick back in and bump the starter. Then add the remaining oil. I do this and it makes getting that last 1/2 quart in a lot faster.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it might sound strange to some of you, but adding oil with a ketchup bottle works. Put the tip down in the hole and squeeze gently. The space allows the air to come out as the oil goes in. Have tried too many time to jus use a funnel or even pour from the neck of the oil bottle.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jimdmorrison wrote:
Concerning side note: Before I changed the oil, running the generator built up oil pressure, causing it to spray out the next time I opened the dipstick.

There should be little to no pressure inside the crankcase. If there is, the positive crankcase ventilation system is not working.

Could it be that the excess fuel in the oil just raised the oil level ABOVE the fill line ?

The cleanest and simplest way to remove oil from any small engine. Lawnmower oil change using a shop vac

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"