cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap Refrigerator question

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking about buying a cheap refrigerator to replace the junk one in our travel trailer which has been a problem for years.

Anyways, Do the engineers who make refrigerators design them to last a certain number of hours of use? Like vacuum cleaners and many other things now days, they will fail after a certain number of hours used? I should mention I'm talking about house refrigerators.

My question, In theory... if cheap refrigerators are designed to last just saying 3-4 years of continuous use, and since we only use our travel trailer maybe 3-4 weeks a year, will a cheap refrigerator last more than the 3-4 years since it will be shut off 90% of the time? I realize moisture and humidity and corrosion could be a factor also.

At my age I don't need one to last 20 years, if it will last 10 years I'd be happy. So why spend $1000 on one if a $350 refrigerator will last just as long being used very little.
Terry Witt
31 REPLIES 31

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not failures but energy dependency that limit its use in RVs. Or - used to limit. You will be replacing the dependency on reliability of propane fridge with dependency on daily charging (when offgrid). Maybe this will change in some years from now, with more Li batteries, so that you could (at least) spend a weekend without having to run a generator, but then the word "cheap" needs to be redefined. Motorhomes are more "tolerant" to 110V fridge due to alternator wiring, but the OP has a TT.

Another thing that I observed (other than being not quite cheap, in my case suitable 11 cu.ft model is +$500 plus inverter), is that most people with 110V fridges either camp on hookups or are doing short weekend trips. One of few exceptions is Mr Wiz here, with 600-something watt solar (sill has to run a generator occasionally, but he is fulltiming, different scenario).

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
When I was considering a residential I searched all over but couldn't find people complaining of faliures in rvs

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
Been in the business of servicing or repairing home refrigerators since retiring from the USAF in 97.

Just keep in mind that household refrigerators were not designed to withstand the bouncing of a TT and it's life expectancy can be shorter.

That's a great point, but will be ignored here and at every other RV forum in existence.

My parent's RV fridge died at 10 years old this year. They were quoted something like $1400 for a new one, not including installation. Since they camp with hookups 99% of the time, they went to Home Depot and bought a small residential fridge that fit the opening for a little over $300. They could replace that fridge 3 more times and still be almost $200 ahead. So basically, if the fridge lasts 2.5 years, it is worth it. Plus it keeps things colder and has more space in it...so long as you have hookups.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerryjay11 wrote:
Been in the business of servicing or repairing home refrigerators since retiring from the USAF in 97.

Just keep in mind that household refrigerators were not designed to withstand the bouncing of a TT and it's life expectancy can be shorter.

That's a great point, but will be ignored here and at every other RV forum in existence.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
tewitt1949 wrote:
Dutch....I've been told that you have to leave it unplugged and set several hours after moving, to let dirt etc settle in the freon lines before plugging it in. I think there is a filter in the line so I'm skeptical about that. Do you do that or turn it on right away?

All compressor fridges (and air conditioners, and dehumidifiers, and other compressor cooling units) need to be upright for several hours before turning on if they've been on their side or back or upside down so that the liquid and gas in the system can settle properly and sort itself out. Bouncing around and being several degrees out of kilter is different and is not really a problem; they can operate fine just after (or during) such treatment. Hence, you should usually wait for a good bit after installation, but you don't need to wait after parking in your campsite...unless your RV as a whole was upside down or on its side, I suppose.

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch....I've been told that you have to leave it unplugged and set several hours after moving, to let dirt etc settle in the freon lines before plugging it in. I think there is a filter in the line so I'm skeptical about that. Do you do that or turn it on right away?

We always camp where we have 110 volts so I'm not worried about power.

We bought a magic chief. It was very close to fitting but it was about 6 inches taller. In our TT it wasn't a problem. Cost was about $350.
Terry Witt

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our failing Norcold fridge about 4 years ago with the most basic suitably sized residential fridge we could find to minimize the electronics used. The model we chose is a 10.1 cu ft Haier that was a near perfect fit in the Norcold space, requiring just a bit of added trim around the edges. I modified a couple of standard window latches to secure the doors while underway. We've not been sorry we made the change to a residential fridge...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not at the point of installing 110V fridge yet, but - from watching this forum - it appears that people rarely install "cheap" 110V fridges in RV. Expect to spend upwards of $400.

Some TT have cabinets with converter at the bottom, they are so narrow and short that finding a suitable 110V fridge under $600 is not easy, and you end up with the lower shelf of freezer at your eyebrows. My TT is in this group.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Read all the RV residential threads that you can find. I bet you don't read about faliures very often. I installed a 10.7 cubic foot Whirlpool with the coil on the back. it's all about heat so it's best to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions some of them will say for in on the side that's because they probably have the coils buried under the sheet metal on the sides of the fridge. That's why I went with the rear coil.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's usually the flashy electronic display panels that fail on appliances. Avoid if possible.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Things are generally not designed specifically to wear out (but some are), but things are absolutely designed for cost these days. We live in an era where people will buy the $555 product over the $660 product on price alone. This results in engineering things right to the hairy edge of design requirements and not a penny over.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tewitt, your Vietnam fridge was likely made in Japan or at French factory in 'Nam. No comparison to cheap Chinese items of today.

The problem with cheap fridges - assuming you are talking 110V fridges rather than propane - is not only a short lifespan but low efficiency, they draw more energy to do the same cooling job. It doesn't sound like you have any solar or huge Li battery. This means that you will run generator for long hours every day just for the fridge, when offgrid. Cheap compressor fridges can also be annoyingly loud, except for small 110V absorption type fridges, but those are probably less efficient than cheap compressor fridge.

Average 2-way propane/110V fridge in TT can last +10 years.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Foreign Jobs

I have had excellent luck with SAMSUNG brand. I own a Viking and two VestFrost refrigerators (with Danforth compressors) they are not low end models.

I've yet to meet a Samsung refrigerator owner down here that was not pleased with flawless service life.

SEARS sold Cold Spot refrigerators 60 years ago that seemed to be unbreakable and wear-out proof. They bought a chest freezer in 1948 that was going strong in 1999 with a different owner. Amazing.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I have no complaints about refrigerators but hot water tanks do seem to die on a schedule. This year my friends tank failed 2 weeks after the 6 year warranty expired. Ours died 6 months after the warranty. I noticed that one with a 12 year warranty could be purchased for twice the price. Iโ€™m not sure what the implications are.

The good news is that flexible water connection hoses with sharktooth connector are now available so it is much easier to replace the hot water tank.

I would try the lower cost refrigerator as long as I could install it myself.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I plan on using it in my TT. I will be traveling with it. Maybe manufactures don't design them to work only so long, but I also see many old fridges that are still working, while many new side by side, bottom freezer types that quit after only a couple/few years. I have a small fridge that I had in Viet Nam that I bought well used back in 1970, it was shipped home and I still have it to this day and it works great. Its probably over 50 years old. There is no way in hell the new ones today, even if used in ideal conditions will last half that long. I am just hoping if it is unplugged most of the time, it will last until I die and I'm 70 now. I'm not sure how much vibration will affect it. It will be plugged into 110V.
Terry Witt