cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Combine grp 24 with grp 27 batteries?

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer came with a group 24 battery. Would there be any issues if I added a group 27 battery in parallel?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you performed a power audit to determine what you need? What are your intentions? Will a second group 24 get you there?

I agree with Don. Going with a pair 24s of the same make would be better. If a pair of 24s doesn't get you there then adding a 27 would be marginally better and they won't play well together as they age.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sheep in wolf clothing, flooded Car Jar RV batteries are not worth fussing over. I figure if the OP did not determine he needed more than 85-amp hours, he wouldn't have asked about adding a 27.

"Spend Other People's Money As If It Were Your Own" is one of the lynch Pins of my thinking.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
I'd run the group 24 until it dies, which it will, in a year or two ...

That's a bit dramatic ... many if not most of us get far more than just "a year or two" out of a deep cycle battery, heck my own G27 Interstate is in it's 8th year and still taking a charge. So much depends on usage and maintenance that determines just how long any battery may last ... but just a year or two is hardly typical with even a modicum of care.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'd run the group 24 until it dies, which it will, in a year or two, then replace with a pair of matched batteries of what you really want. You'll have a couple of years on here by then to have done a search on batteries for your rig, and know what will work best for your particular type of camping, pedestal or dry camping.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would try and find out who made the original battery. i.e. Johnson Controls, US Battery..etc...

Then match it. Chemistry is what is important. Not size. When a battery ages its chemistry changes.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
richy2 wrote:
My new trailer came with a group 24 battery. Would there be any issues if I added a group 27 battery in parallel?

"New trailer" suggests a battery that is "new" as well. If your intention is to dry camp on a regular basis then when it comes to battery reserve more is always better. If that's the case have you considered asking your dealer if he'd replace the "new" G24 for a larger size provided you agree to pay the difference and buy a second of the same? Also, if you have the footprint available I'd even go to a pair of G31 12 volt batteries OR (personal preference) a pair of GC-2 6 volt batteries wired in series.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

The group 24 will end up as a parasite on the group 27 over time.

I'd add a group 24. The capacity difference isn't that much different than adding a group 27.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem that usually arises is when they are being charged. If the cables paths are different lengths or the older batteries charge at a different rate than the newer batteries etc you may end up having one group of batteries charged up more than the other group.

Continuing to do this will eventually do harm to battery bank that doesn't charge up enough.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
While not the absolute best solution, it will work.

The absolute best solution is matching batteries. However, if that battery is in good shape, I would not replace it. I would go ahead and add the group 27 battery.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB