Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

configuring a sola basic ISB 4000 va

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Shortly, one of our members is going to be dropping off a Sola Basic ISB 4000 va unit to me.

My understanding is that it doesn't come with plugs, nor it is in the least way water resistant.

My thinking about the wiring is to add a 30 amp RV male plug for input, and a 20 amp nylon female plug on the input side so I can easily check the input voltage.

For output I'm thinking a 30 amp female, and a 20 amp female, because I so often have only a household 15 amp supply.

Placement of the unit is also a bit of a quandary. Should I place it "just before" the RV or "just after" the shore power outlet? I'm leaning to putting it just before the RV.

Does anyone know the "trade off" between volts and amps? Is it as simple as wattage divided by voltage? i.e. 30 amps @ 120 volts is 3600, so at 110 volts amperage would be 32.72? Is there some "overhead" from the autoformer itself?

I understand the unit has cartridge fuses that are NOT replaceable by a circuit breaker. How likely am I to cause these to blow?

Fortunately I can "dial down" my input amperage using the remote on my Magnum inverter/charger.

Is the autoformer going to assist with the problem I have with some GFCI outlets and the Magnum inverter/charger?

I'm getting excited now.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

Any advice on what to do in the mean time? It is to be hotter tomorrow so I imagine I'll be doing the same dance.

Since my roof air is the only thing that I'm worried about voltage wise, I'm considering just hard wiring just the air conditioner to the sola.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Srow Boat From China, time.

A watched pot never leaks.
Connection speed so slow a no DNS error dialog box pops up for the ping timing site.

An hour of Biology Class with formaldehyde reeking frogs right before lunch.

Patience is a virtue
It'll arrive. And be a 254-volt unit.

Just teasing Don. ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Campground voltage hit a new low of 102 volts. That was with ONLY the air conditioner running.

I so wish I had the sola unit.
Regards, Don

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
He is getting This. Doesn't look like electronics-only.

They have some "Industronic" model for 3 times more pesos, that one is promoted for electronics but I don't understand why:Industronic AMCR-5104.

"Just before the RV" sounds better. But it's designed to be mounted inside somewhere.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

The unit that is coming is the ISB 4kv. I don't have any more information than that.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Use external FAST BLOW fuses that are easy to change. Rate them 5 amperes less than the interior fuses. Are you SURE you are getting the SOLA model rated for electric motors rather than for pure electronics? One A/C startup with the electronics only model means a mushroom cloud.

My SOLA ferroresonant Line Tamer is the size of a large toy chest and weighs around 110 lbs. But it's the 60% - 140% auto-correction model. It isn't stepped and keeps voltage +- 1% from 76 volts to 158 volts. It also eats a considerable amount of power even when unloaded. I had Nacho weld it to a 300 + lb scrap I-beam with Super Missile Weld rod.