cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter buzzing...a little guidance appreciated

fourboysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Heyo gang. I have a 2010 jayco 26bh travel trailer. there is a distinct buzzing sound coming from the breaker panel. I don't believe it's the fan. Here is what I know:

1. When connected to shore power with no lights on, there is a buzzing noise.
2. When disconnected from shore power and drawing from battery with lights both on and off, no buzz.
3. When disconnected from shore power but connected to TV, no buzz.
4. The battery is topped off and fully charged and the multimeter shows 12 volts.
5. When connected to shore power, the outlets are at 120vac according to mister multimeter.

Here's where it gets weird:

6. When connected to shore power with no lights on, there is a buzzing noise which stops immediately when i turn a light on. That's the weird one for me.
7. When connected to shore power and I turn off the converter breaker, the buzzing immediately stops, but the lights still work so I'm assuming they draw directly from the battery if the converter is off?
8. I made sure the converter, when on, is distributing power by disconnecting the battery and checking the lights...they work.

Whew...all that to ask this: i'm thinking either my converter is damaged, or the breaker supplying its power is damaged. Am I on the right track?

btw...the converter is pretty hot to the touch when it's buzzing.
btw2...a few weeks back, we were at a festival and drew power from a large generator the festival brought in to power the rv section. I did not use a surge protector...hindsight is 20/20.

Anybody have thoughts? Thanks very much!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

Me, DW, DS x4 (13, 9, 9, & 6)
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH
2006 Nissan Armada SE V8 4x4 w/ Tow Package
Reese WDH/DC anti-sway
21 REPLIES 21

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
My PD9160A was silent for a few years, now it makes all sorts of noises, some similar to what you described. I shut it off when we're sleeping. It otherwise works correctly, including supplying its full output.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

fourboysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Here is what I think. Your converter is putting out full output. It's not getting to the battery. Put your multimeter on the converter output terminals and see what it says. It should say 13.7 volts. Put your multimeter on the battery. It should say the same as the converter output terminals.

If the two do not have the same reading, either the negative or the positive to the battery is loose. Run a jumper cable between the battery positive to the converter positive. Did it fix it? No? Run the jumper cable from the battery negative to the converter negative.

Hot means working hard. Not broken.

Thanks. Ok, dumb this down for me if you would:

What makes you think the converter is putting out full output? I don't know how to tell.

I'm sure the battery leads are tight and cleaned. I will recheck the voltage tomorrow morning.

Reese WDH/DC anti-sway

fourboysdad
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Which converter do you have?

It's a Prgressive Dynamics 4000series

Reese WDH/DC anti-sway

fourboysdad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Sounds like the metal laminations of the converters transformer are vibrating. An annoying but not dangerous condition that happens to xfmr's sometimes. the noise changes with items turned on because it changes the xfmr's load.

Is there a way to fix this as it's rather loud, especially near the kiddo bunks?

ScottG wrote:
More troublesome is the battery voltage. 12V is rather low, is it really just 12V or is it more like 13.2 or more with the rv plugged in? If it's only 12.0 then the converter is shot.

My multimeter is a basic one...i'll recheck in the morning and confirm. Is there any reason to think the battery is bad? i couldn't think of one...

Reese WDH/DC anti-sway

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which converter do you have?

Few years back, Jayco swapped from Iota DLS (no IQ4 option) to PD 46xx? It may (or may not) help to know for the buzzing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I think. Your converter is putting out full output. It's not getting to the battery. Put your multimeter on the converter output terminals and see what it says. It should say 13.7 volts. Put your multimeter on the battery. It should say the same as the converter output terminals.

If the two do not have the same reading, either the negative or the positive to the battery is loose. Run a jumper cable between the battery positive to the converter positive. Did it fix it? No? Run the jumper cable from the battery negative to the converter negative.

Hot means working hard. Not broken.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the metal laminations of the converters transformer are vibrating. An annoying but not dangerous condition that happens to xfmr's sometimes. the noise changes with items turned on because it changes the xfmr's load.
More troublesome is the battery voltage. 12V is rather low, is it really just 12V or is it more like 13.2 or more with the rv plugged in? If it's only 12.0 then the converter is shot.