cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter fan revving up and down

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
So about 2 days ago i noticed for the first time my converter fan running and i said to myself ok that is something new ive never heard and i just figured it was because i had a few lights on. And my water heater running for doing diahes later.
So i come back today after being and i come inside and only my furnace is running and then shuts off and i hear the fan running again which it has never done. At this point i have no other lights on in the trailer and before the fan shuts off it makes rapid rev up noises and i have noticed now everytime i turn on any lights the fan come on.
I could really use some help troubleshooting this as i am starting to get concerned.
14 REPLIES 14

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear that you got it solved.

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
The battery was shot and was cooking itself trying to charge. New batteries and not a peep from the converter! Thank you guys for all of your help. It is very much appreciated!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like you may have a failing battery.
Disconnect a battery cable for an hour then check the battery voltage. If voltage is below 12.6 - 12.7 then I would suspect the battery is shot.
While you are waiting the one hour (battery disconected), see if the converter fan still comes on when an overhead light is switched on. If it does then I would suspect the converter is failing.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Converter heat sink does a good job of transferring heat with out a fan when it CLEAN.. Nee I say more?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may as well post the converter model number. Some act differently than others.

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
The converter turns on without the furnace being on. It turned on with one overhead light on. Its now light outside so im going to go ahead and get after it guys.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace is a battery hog - that's why your converter turned on. No big deal.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll get an argument about how often to check your battery fluid but weekly is my habit, same day I exercise the generator...Wednesdays.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys i really appreciate the guidance. Soon as the stores open ill get on this.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your converter, is also a battery charger. If batteries are low fluid, or failing, the charger part of converter will work hard, and may need fan to cool. It is possible that the converter itself could be failing.

Yes, check battery water, and state of charge, first.

Jerry

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wow. I didnt even consider the batteries. Im very new to the full time game. So even plugged into the box outside my lights, furnace, water heater use the batteries to draw their power?

Northwest
Explorer
Explorer
I did a small bit of troubleshooting and it seems like all overhead light usage will trigger the fan also. i am now in complete dark and the fan will now and then make a fast revving noise then go silent even with nothing turned on.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Always start with the cheapest solutions first.
First thing check the fluid level in your battery. What your inverter is doing is charging your battery. Low fluid makes affects how the battery will charge. Seen that many many times. Someone will complain their inverter runs all the time. Top off the battery fluid and all is well.
If that doesn't fix it then have the battery checked. It could be a weak cell and the battery is going bad where it doesn't take a full charge.
One of those will usually fix the problem.
There have been a lot of perfectly good inverters replaced, at an expense, when the only problem was low battery fluid.
Camped in every state

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fan comes on when there is a load on the 12V system. Running more could be a sign that your battery is very weak.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73