cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooling problems

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
SO I have a Dometic Rooftop mounted AC unit, run by thermostat. Yesterday night I had it set to Auto and 72. In the middle of the night I woke up hot. I then set it to low/manual, compressor came on and ran for about 20 minutes, then compressor and fan both shut down simultaneously. I fiddled with it some and was able to get it to come on again and run for some time before it shut down again and showed and E1 error code.

in the morning I went to my dealer and they said the code meant a bad circuit board. I replaced the board and t-stat yesterday about noon. Unit came on and ran continuously until about 8:00 last night when it finally caught up with itself ( 95 here yesterday)and shut down, but would not come back on as camper heated up. Same thing! I got it to come on low/manual for about 20 minutes and it all shut down. Then I set it to high/manual and it ran fine all night, with the compressor cycling normally as needed.

Had to come into firehouse for a shift today so just set it to 74 on Auto and came to work. Figured I know if was working at all when I get back to lake in the morning.

It seems to run and cool normally, the trick is to get it to cycle properly; any thoughts or suggestions before sending it into shop???
6 REPLIES 6

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
This duplicate post is closed....please post any responses here......

Click here
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have you verified the freeze sensor is up in or on the evaporator coil?
These are often poorly installed and they fall away and will not sense the freeze up properly.
Access by removing interior trim.

But as said above this sensor should just cycle the compressor.

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
We have had very high humidity this past week. I looked through my papers last night for the manual for the unit; of course its the only one not in there. Would I just go to dometic for this procedure?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I believe the thermostat manual explains a reset or reboot procedure.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Do you have high humidity? if so and running on low fan speed the unit can freeze up causing it to stop until thawed out. Try running the fan at high speed.

Running fan on high does prevent freeze issues - but my experience has been that freeze issues don't shut down both compressor/fan. My guess is the OP issue is more complex - just my 02.
Kevin

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have high humidity? if so and running on low fan speed the unit can freeze up causing it to stop until thawed out. Try running the fan at high speed.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH