cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge runs on AC but not LP

ctgsocal
Explorer
Explorer
It is an RM2607 about 23 years old. Runs fine on AC but not on gas. Has the Dinosaur Electronics control board. Cleaned out the orifice soaking it in alcohol. Cleaned the burner tube. Ignitor works. Replaced the thermocouple. Could be the gas valve solenoid does is not opening. Is there a way to test the solenoid to see if it has failed? Anything else that I can troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question, but did you check the manual shutoff?

If that unit has had all of the upgrades done, then the ignitor and gas valve should get power at the same time (originally, the ignitor was powered by the blue wire coming out of the circuit board- that was changed with the ground upgrade outlined in the infamous Bulletin R70/4b.
-- Chris Bryant

ctgsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I'll check ohm reading on solenoid and the P3 terminal 2 voltage and let you know the results.

RVLady_net
Explorer
Explorer
This also happened to me on my Coachman Class C - 1) check to see if refrigerator is on recall list and make certain the work has been done. The older refrigerators require improvements to prevent fire. Had mine done at CampingWorld. 2) My LP began working after the replacement of a small component (square & white) just below the fuse area (as I recall). 2 screws (?) a couple of wires reconnected and it was done. Could be called a LP gas ignitor - bought it on Amazon. I made a video about it: start about 4.30 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqYYyjA8z5c&index=105&list=PL_Rbi5sVphhtudnrKB65Y1SWXyMuUx_FF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several tests that can be done on the solenoid.
First is a continunity test.. Disconnect wires, use ohm-meter, alas I do not know the proper reading but open circuit = failed,, So do some other readings. but I'm nto sure what is correct.

The "EAR" test.. have your partner switch it to GAS (This works best if it's warm) LISTEN, you should hear both the CLICK of the solenoid and the SNAP of the ignighter (And see the sparks but do not spend a lot of time looking at those)

Other tests are more dangerous and thus I hesitate to suggest them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
You can take the circuit board to most larger parts departments and they will have a test fixture to test it.

While they have testers for certain Water Heater and Furnace Modules, they do not make a accurate tester for refer boards. Especially the type board the OP has. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can test the gas valve solenoid by removing one of the connectors and then measure resistance across the 2 terminals...........S/B 44-53 ohms (49 +/- 10%)

Also check that you have DC voltage on lower module at P3 terminal 2 (bottom right quadrant)during ignition trial (when sparking is going on)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Hot wire the gas valve, and light it w/ a striker. If it burns, then you almost know its the control board.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can take the circuit board to most larger parts departments and they will have a test fixture to test it.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Did it ever while you had it or is this something that just started?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ctgsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Stove and water heater work fine.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Does the gas stove work?
How about the gas furnace?
Does Propane tank have ga in it?

Propane valve open?
Some have a electronic Emergency shut off valve also. That may not have turned on.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+