cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of propane vs gas generator.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have read a lot about the pro/con of gas/propane generators. I have an almost new champion 75537i 3100 watt remote start inverter gas generator. I am in the process of purchasing a used FW that comes with a built in Onam Marquis 5500 Propane generator. I am not paying extra for the Onam generator -- it is part of the deal so in effect it is free.

My question: Disregarding all the pro/con of the two generators and assuming I have access to both propane and gas at a reasonable price, which generator will cost less to rum? . . . :h
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Pro. I can get gas a whole lot easier than propane.

Con. Propane not readily available

x2 ... it seems wherever I like to camp, finding someone to FILL propane vs exchange is always a chore. Gasoline is sold everywhere, day or night.

Some say the propane is cleaner, I will concede that point having battled with stale gas in lawn equipment. For my generators, fuel is always run out if a long period of non-use is anticipated.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Pro. I can get gas a whole lot easier than propane.

Con. Propane not readily available
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

red31
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

My question: Disregarding all the pro/con of the two generators and assuming I have access to both propane and gas at a reasonable price, which generator will cost less to rum? . . . :h

the good ole days propane was cheaper than reg gasoline!
Not now

use 1 gal of gas ~ 1.3 gals of propane

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new truck camper and ordered it with the built in propane generator and had a fifth wheel that we used two Honda 2000I generator's with. We are on our first trip with the onan propane 2500 and it has pros and cons compared to the gas Hondas. The Honda's of course make much less noise and run at low speed when charging the batteries or low loads and even with the two of them together they run at less than full speed to run the AC. The Hondas required carrying the two generator's, Gas can or cans, cables and connectors all of which take up valuable space in our current rig, the propane generator is loud runs at 3600 rpm no matter what your load is which uses more propane, the propane tanks are more of a pain to fill than a gas can however the propane generator can be started form inside and doesn't have to be locked up with cables or chains which is another item to carry. I am not sure about your generator but I know in my case it would be cheaper to run the two gas Hondas than the one propane generator, but more convenient to run and carry the propane Generator . I think in the future I may find a way to carry one Honda for light loads and battery charging that my solar panel can't keep up with and use the propane generator for AC, Micowave duty .

sorry I just saw the , Disregarding all the pro/con of the two generators line, oh well I typed it so here it is LOL
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's