cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Costco GC2 batteries changed?

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I have used 4 Costco GC2 batteries for years and usually get 6 years from them. Never a failure. I just Google searched them and see many (16 of 18) negative ratings. I need to replace my five year old batteries and had planned to go with a proven product. Has something changed?
31 REPLIES 31

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The decision about my group 34 car battery was made when I parked next to the Costco tire shop and went to move it after getting tire prices.

My good friend Celsi was the driver. Rrrrrrrrrr.....solenoid chatter.

We cut through the tire shop and arrived at batteries.

He hefted a group 34.

Wow! This is way heavier than any Mexican battery!

Been in the toad since last August. It has sat for a month and yesterday cranked right up. The Dodge Spirit has three milliamps quiescent battery draw.

Might or might be Costco like Interstate buys local. We are on opposite sides of the continent.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
voodoo101 wrote:
I have used 4 Costco GC2 batteries for years and usually get 6 years from them. Never a failure. I just Google searched them and see many (16 of 18) negative ratings. I need to replace my five year old batteries and had planned to go with a proven product. Has something changed?
Were the bad reviews for Costco batteries in general or the 6V GC batteries specifically? I bought 3 12v starting batteries from Costco last year 2 failed out right for my daughters car and were replaced and my car was very sluggish starting all winter. My Costco does not sell 6V GC batteries so I bought mine from Sam's Club in 2007 and they are working fine after 13 years. I think they were Duracell. They made it through the winter fine but I have not used them for camping yet to see if they lost any capacity. For the price difference I would definitely buy them again over the Trojan 105's.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see the Costco USA site shows their Interstate 210AH batts to be all black, but the "real" Interstate 210AH HCLs are black and green. Same specs. That different case colour might mean something is going on though.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Sure hope mine dont turn into duds. Just cycled my genny and will yank them out and store in the garage for the summer.

For the fun of discussion i will try to take the approach that the new lighter weight costco batteries are not of poor quality. (even though i think they are) Maybe some of these could contribute to the higher reports of failures?

1. These days people can pull out a cell phone and leave a bad review in under a minute.

2. There are a bunch of new campers who are not familiar with battery maintenance. The new SXS toys have brought a big wave of new campers out to where i go.

3. Solar is more common which means there are more batteries getting a slow undercharge and constant float during the day.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
You guys think for most people the extra cost of a trojan is worth it? Because its never going to see thousands of cycles on a golf cart. Majority of people camp with hookups.

Would think you really have to boondock a lot or maybe even live in your trailer off the grid for a premium battery to be worth it.

As it relates to the specifics of this topic, the reports do not support your thinking.

The newer batteries (as opposed to the older brand) they are selling appears to fail quite often and quickly. Even though you have a one year warranty, that's based on the original purchase. So if the battery fails in 7 months, you get a new battery, but if that battery also fails in 7 months, you're past the warranty so no new batteries for you. Factor in the inconvenience of a failed battery and usually at the most inopportune time, I would rather spend more for one that is not prone to premature failing over savings a few dollars and having to drag myself to the store when I could be a hundred miles elsewhere relaxing.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You have made your opinion clear several times. These batteries are more forgiving than rag batteries. I.E. I c o u l d eat canned food, scrounge goodwill clothing and make do with a hot plate. I would save an enormous amount of money.

Until my teeth fell out and people rolled on the sidewalk at my camouflage pants and fluorescent shirt.

Ever endured an utterly failed vacation? Like a refrigerator that fails a thousand miles south of the border or a tire that blows in rush hour traffic? You know, on the side with speeding traffic?

Insisting on someone else using the quietest generator when the nearest neighbor is 22 miles distant in a straight line?

Making THE RIGHT CHOICE for someone else is a daunting task even for a true professional.

Making THE RIGHT CHOICE for someone else without questions and answers is nothing short of absurd.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
You guys think for most people the extra cost of a trojan is worth it? Because its never going to see thousands of cycles on a golf cart. Majority of people camp with hookups.

Would think you really have to boondock a lot or maybe even live in your trailer off the grid for a premium battery to be worth it.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last June I paid $140.00 for Trojan T-105's in Twin Falls. ID. I've seen $140.00 at quite a few outlets. The problem I think is that there are only several wholesale outfits that supply them. And they seem to cover many states. Here is a Craig's List ad for National City, CA.
https://yuma.craigslist.org/for/d/chula-vista-trojan-6v-deep-cycle-golf/7108937408.html

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Call a golf course if not closed and ask the PRO where they buy their batteries. Freshness matters.

Upon bringing them home give them a TOP CHARGE then let them sit overnight before cycling them. TOP CHARGING adds significant improvement to overall battery life. Not hype or myth. This is a proven discipline.

To save money battery manufacturers are forced to squeeze post greening activation charging to an absolute minimum. If top charge is used prior to first use it conditions the plates. Commercial rate electricity every cent saved is crucial.

Let the batteries rest 24 hours after top charging. This is vital to saturate the positive plates.

Batteries are chemical devices that exhibit curious electrical prperties

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good price on Trojan T105s, I am thinking about going that route. I can get them local for $170.00 each.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate is a Brand Name.

Did a Craftsman Factory ever make tools?

I seem to remember visiting a giant Trojan battery plant at the intersection of I-5 and the 605 in commerce and Ramcar battery plant 15 minutes further dow. The 5

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no idea what brands Johnson Controls make in Mexico, but when they come across the border, they are filled at a huge facility in an industrial park here in Yuma, AZ.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I checked my local Costco was selling Interstate GC batteries
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My Costco group 34 is THIRTY PERCENT heavier than an LTH or GOHNER (or is it GONAD?) Battery. For a group 34 it means 220 more CCA and 20 minutes more RC.