cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Costco GC2 batteries changed?

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I have used 4 Costco GC2 batteries for years and usually get 6 years from them. Never a failure. I just Google searched them and see many (16 of 18) negative ratings. I need to replace my five year old batteries and had planned to go with a proven product. Has something changed?
31 REPLIES 31

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
I have some. 210ah now and only a 1 year fixed warranty.

A few years ago an Interstate guy here told me their 6s are now made by Trojan. Same specs. The T-105/ECL is 225AH and 62 lbs, while the T-605/HCL is 210AH and 58 lbs. The 210 version is probably the Costco one.

Before that, Interstate 6s were 232 AH and made in Mexico since around 2010. Before that Interstate 6s were made by US Battery and followed their specs for U-2200s (232 AH and so on for different 2xxx numbers)

I had to get a pair of 6s recently, and ended up with rebranded (Eliminator) East Penn GC 15s at 230AH. They are working out well.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Mexican batteries

Made in Monterrey nuevo leon

LTH company.

Six pounds lighter than a T105

At first I was ready to say you have been in the sun too long. LOL

I could swear that when I was doing research they were the same weight. Then I looked again today. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
so they say theres only three battery makers. but I don,t no who they are, think one is johnson@johnson. they just sticker them with different names.

US battery
East Penn
Johnson Controls

When I first read Johnson AT johnson I read Johnson & Johnson (They make among other things baby powder)

There are other companies Like Trojan but frankly I don't have the ful ll.. oh wait perhaps....

here you go Who makes What per jgdarden.com
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:
Lots of people I know have been disappointed with the new Costco GC batteries compared to the older ones.
If the price is staying the same it's likely they're using cheaper components.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
voodoo101 wrote:
I have used 4 Costco GC2 batteries for years and usually get 6 years from them. Never a failure. I just Google searched them and see many (16 of 18) negative ratings. I need to replace my five year old batteries and had planned to go with a proven product. Has something changed?

Lots of people I know have been disappointed with the new Costco GC batteries compared to the older ones. They say the new ones are failing within a year and that seems to be reflected in the reviews as well. Maybe it was a rush to produce or maybe it's what you get for the price. I'll probably avoid them for now until the reviews start reflecting a better quality.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used two 210a costco 6v for over 3 years including running 11kbtu Coleman Mach 1 PS air cond for just over an hour (via inverter, comp cycling - fan continuous low speed ), an uber assignment, and without any problems....Recently I switched to a single 200a Lifepo4 (interior housed), mostly just to try out the new technology, but I could easily recommend the Costcoโ€™s...However, I would assume that Trojans might last a few extra years...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Interesting !

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johnson Controls

EXIDE

East Penn

Motorcycle batteries I have owned made by EP, DEKA, X-RATED and BIG CRANK.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
so they say theres only three battery makers. but I don,t no who they are, think one is johnson@johnson. they just sticker them with different names.

Johnson Controls Power Solutions?

https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican batteries

Made in Monterrey nuevo leon

LTH company.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DEKA is East Penn.

Last Costco Interstates were Made in Mexico.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Costco sells Interstate brand batteries. Interstate never manufactured their own batteries. Who builds them could change from year to year.

Sams Club sell Duracell brand batteries which are made by East Penn.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
I seem to recall that Trojan used to make Costco batteries and they were the equivalent to the T-105's. They are now made by Interstate. Mine are about 15 months old and so far holding up.

I just couldn't justify the extra coin for the T-105's.

Since 2005 It's been interstate or US=-Battery depending on where you live from what I understand. Before that I never researched.

I"m told the batteries at Bateries Plus are now made by East Penn. I have DEKA's in my RV (East pen) now six years old.. I've had to add water... Twice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my boat buddies say some one else is making them, google reviews not good.