cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins 8.3 diesel problem.

larrylu62
Explorer
Explorer
Left Florida heading for home on Monday 3/9/15. 850 mile trip, so it takes two days.
During that two days there were 3 times that while going very slow, the engine lost power. It would not accelerate and black smoke rolled out of the exhaust. After a few seconds, and one time over a minute, it kicked back in and every thing was normal. Made it home but am concerned.
I'm not a mechanic, but I am suspecting an injector problem or a stuck valve. Does anyone out there have knowledge on this problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
21 REPLIES 21

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Exhaust brake wont cause that if it sticks and way too old for regen - besides, it doesn't look like that.

You probably have an 03 eng/chassis which means early common rail.
Since it's not doing it now it will be very hard to diagnose
Here's a couple of thoughts though: if it was a stuck injector it could quickly burn a hole through a piston. Could have been a low boost issue too but it would be nearly impossible for that to fix itself. However, low boost with that much fuel will result in extreme EGT - enough to melt pistons in 30~60 seconds. I just tell you these things so you are aware.
You also might check the 2 piece exhaust manifold for cracks - they are fairly common on the 8.3's.
Good luck, hope it's just a sensor or some other cheapy fix.

05kountrystar
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly advise replacing both fuel filters,then cut open the old filters to check for algae or water.

larrylu62
Explorer
Explorer
Exhaust brake was off.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Exhaust brake sticking?
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Too old to be regeneration, right?

Then my opinion weighs heavily on taking the rig to a Cummins engine dealership and let them have at it. Whatever and however please post how things turn out.

larrylu62
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Monaco Diplomat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
What year?
Some years are very different from others.

BTW, if it does that again you need to stop - or risk destroying the engine.