cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins loses power

DougGreen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1999 Holiday Rambler with a 5.9 Cummins motor. We are having trouble with it losing power. This happens on flat ground and at any speed. The engine light will come on and we cannot go faster than 15-20 mph. It does not smoke, jerk or otherwise run badly.
After a minute or so, the light goes off and the power comes back. this happens every 15 minor so. When this happens, the Turbo Boost is at 0. We took it to a shop and they could not figure out how to get the codes to see what the problem was. We have changed the fuel filters already and it made no difference.
6 REPLIES 6

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
possible loss of fuel pressure, or high pressure injector pump on the way out.

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
I had a turbo sensor on my Ram go out that had th same symptoms, except it wasn't intermittent. When to a Cummins truck repair shop and it took about 4 hours to isolate and diagnose.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

Milliedog
Explorer
Explorer
we had that problem, 4 shops later found a 3rd fuel filter inside the door where the coach air conditioner compressor,dryer is located

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like an electrical or computer problem. Zero boost for a period of time and then regaining the boost necessary to travel at speed doesn't sound like a hole in the turbo charged air system. It doesn't sound like a fuel filter either. If the fuel filter were plugged, it would remain plugged.
If your Cummin's is like mine and it sounds like it is, the primary fuel filter could be working intermittently. Even when it quits working the secondary will suck fuel through it but not at a rate necessary to run at speed.
Like other, I think your going to have to resort to having someone pull codes.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on fuel filter. With a Cummins that is the first place to look.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
The standard first fix for loosing power is change the fuel filters. My take is that the engine is de rateing due to generating a fault. Change the filters and if that does not fix the problem find someone who can read the engine codes fast.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad