cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep Cycle 12V Batteries

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V deep cycle batteries are becoming popular for 48V golf carts. Hereโ€™s a comparison of 6V vs 12V flooded deep cycle batteries for 12V RV house battery bank. This suggests that 12V deep cycle batteries may become more popular in RVs.

Crown CR-GC150 12V deep cycle โ€“ 4 batteries 150 Ah each:
364 sq in, 324 lbs, 600 Ah, $700

Trojan T125 6V deep cycle โ€“ 4 batteries 240 Ah each:
294 sq in, 264 lbs, 480 Ah, $724

Trojan T105 6V deep cycle โ€“ 6 batteries 225 Ah each:
439 sq in, 372 lbs, 675 Ah, $774

The numbers are the totals for the given battery bank and the size is the footprint of the combined batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
19 REPLIES 19

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
In the future I may go to 2 6v batts because I assume it'll be easier to lift 2 62lb batts one at a time than a single 84lb 12v. That is always awkward and straining.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
TY for the reply. I wish I had room for a pair of GC batteries.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveh27 wrote:
wa8yxm,

I've been doing this for 20 years. Obviously I need to know if it will fit the batt box. My question was is there something about this battery that precludes just using one? The web sites I found all have them in sets of 4.

Oh no. the reason you see 'em in sets of 4 is that you are not seeing sets of 4 12 volt battery (Well you are. but you are not)
What you are seeing is ONE 48 volt battery

-12+-12+-12+-12+=48 volts

Golf cars use 48 volt batteries which for ease of handling are split into 4 12 volt parts...

This is the same as many RV's (Mine included) that use two GC-2 6 volt batteries in series to make one big 12 volt battery.

I always buy 6 volt's in pairs. Same as the golf car user will but them in quads.

But nothing about the battery itself says you can't use just one
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
I have one USBattery 12v 155 a/hr battery. We mostly boondock, have 435 watts of roof solar, 120 watts of portable, no inverter, and use between 55 to 95 amps in a 24 hr period. I charge all day at least somewhat with the solar(dependent on shade and conditions) and supplement when necessary with generator and stand-alone 60 amp charger. I have never felt I needed more battery(s). If our routine didn't include daily charging we would have to rethink our bank, of course.

Even just a single pair of golf cart batteries would give you a nice boost in case you get a cloudy day. I'm running 4 of them, but I've found so far that they're overkill. On my last two trips, I've only used 80-100 ah per day (and I have 430 of capacity).

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I have one USBattery 12v 155 a/hr battery. We mostly boondock, have 435 watts of roof solar, 120 watts of portable, no inverter, and use between 55 to 95 amps in a 24 hr period. I charge all day at least somewhat with the solar(dependent on shade and conditions) and supplement when necessary with generator and stand-alone 60 amp charger. I have never felt I needed more battery(s). If our routine didn't include daily charging we would have to rethink our bank, of course.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I could buy almost twice as many batteries at Sam's club than you're quoting here. The cost/ah is no comparison.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I understand lithium is also getting more popular in golf carts....

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
CincyGus wrote:
I replaced the Interstate group 24 that came with my fall purchased camper with 2 new 12v Trojan 1275's that I got from the dealer that I bought my golf cart from. It used 4 (48v system) and I had him bring two additional new ones when he delivered the cart. I barely got them on the front of the trailers battery tray once they were in battery boxes but they did squeeze in after removing one of the tops extension that allowed the battery cables to be routed from the side.

Looking forward to seeing how long they will let me boondock without the genny recharging them this Summer and Fall. Not expecting miracles but their a nice battery.

Don't forget to follow these instructions (eg, 14.8v and sometimes 16.2v) or your batteries won't last. Hope you can get at them both with an hydrometer too, or else you won't be able to tell what is happening.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

No idea what sort of recharger your golf car has for its Trojans, but your RV converter will be unsat--unable to meet the Trojan's charging spec vopltages.

I like this unit for that job, don't know of any others with the adjustable voltage. (don't forget to adjust the 14.8 up in the cold and down in hot temps--14.8 is for 77F.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/powermax-pm3-60lk-12-volts-60-amp-power-converter-batt...

The 60 amper there will run on a 2000w gen but the 75 amper will need more of a gen such as the Honda 2200 (if they have fixed those) the two T-1275s at 300AH can handle a 100 amp charger but that would need a 3000w gen to run it.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the Interstate group 24 that came with my fall purchased camper with 2 new 12v Trojan 1275's that I got from the dealer that I bought my golf cart from. It used 4 (48v system) and I had him bring two additional new ones when he delivered the cart. I barely got them on the front of the trailers battery tray once they were in battery boxes but they did squeeze in after removing one of the tops extension that allowed the battery cables to be routed from the side.

Looking forward to seeing how long they will let me boondock without the genny recharging them this Summer and Fall. Not expecting miracles but their a nice battery.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use just one 12v but need two 6s. One T-1275 eg. Notice the size and weight in case that matters.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm,

I've been doing this for 20 years. Obviously I need to know if it will fit the batt box. My question was is there something about this battery that precludes just using one? The web sites I found all have them in sets of 4.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveh27 wrote:
I only have room for 1 12 v battery. Will these work for me? Their data sheet keeps saying a bank of 4 batteries.

NON-SUFFICIENT INFORMATION

one 12 volt battery.. I have 12 volt batteries I can hold in one hand.
I have also used 12 volt batteries I can hold with one fork lift (Over 1,000 pounds of lead in that battery). In fact one of them POWERED that fork lift. Long story omitted. (it was fun though).

So "one 12 volt battery"
Group 24, 27. 29 31, 4D, 8D, all different sizes .

Enough rant.. now advice

YOu need to go to a battery company web page and look up the sizes of the assorted batteries US.Battery. INTERSTATE or DEKA or Trojan. all have battery specifications sheets.

These sheets list, among other things Length, Height, Width and Weight.

Once you know what fits. THEN you are in a position to decide.

What you want:
As many DEEP CYCLE (NOT MARINE/deep cycle) amp hours as you can fit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I only have room for 1 12 v battery. Will these work for me? Their data sheet keeps saying a bank of 4 batteries.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Y'aint gonna eat Kansas City filet mignon for $1.99 pound.

Meaning what's CHEAPER 2 Rolls batteries or SIX US batteries?

In my thoroughly embarrassing case -- one Michelin or THREE Douglas rags?

Or, how much money and time is a warranty going to do to your wallet?

Or NINE PAIR of Wal-Mart pants or one pair of Dickies pants? Eight additional trips to Wal-Mart isn't going to cost $20? Keep dreaming. My $20 Dickies pants are serving as work pants and around the house plodders. They were purchased in 2002.

Rejects and replacements COST EXTRA MONEY. I cannot tell you the number of times I heard. "We have problems. It's going to cost us our dream vacation"

So the low priced spread may very well be a budget buster. Nine times out of ten the real-bargain in the bunch will sit at a boarding house table and eat four times his worth.

If I had purchased ZOT-ZINGER 2 volt cells at half price of the Rolls and they lasted a third as long (22 years) did I get screwed? After all they were thousands cheaper? And then I had to kiss their butt for hundreds of additional maintenance hours do I write those hours off as a charitable donation?

Remind me to avoid going shopping with you thank you very much