cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make it white once more

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I was on my roof today, TPO membrane. Scrubbed it hard with Simple Green. It took most of the black off the joints, but once I rinsed it off there is a nice white area where the antenna covers it, the rest is dingy gray.

What can I use to bring the white back? Even the lap seams have gray patches where they didn't come white. I want to get it as clean as I can before wiping it all down with UV protectant.
10 REPLIES 10

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
What possible difference could it make? Who's going to see it? Do you invite friends to climb a ladder to admire you're white roof?

Shoot a dirty one with an infrared gun while sitting in the sun, then shoot a nice clean one and you'll then know the difference.

We have a beige/tan roof on the rig invented by Albert Einsteins cousin, what a stupid design / idea. Almost as idiotic as black awning fabric. Using a temp gun on our interior ceiling it was every bit of 20*F warmer than a clean white one, and that's just clean light tan, not black or dark gray dirt. I compared ours to my brothers ceiling at the campground last year where we had side by side sites, and we have the exact same laminated roof construction.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
It also helps in resale value. A well kept roof makes a sale much easier and top dollar.

That and inspections for potential leaks is much easier if the roof is clean.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
What possible difference could it make? Who's going to see it? Do you invite friends to climb a ladder to admire you're white roof?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
L A Awesome from dollar tree and big lots. $1.00 per bottle. Delute it per instructions.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
The whiter it is, the cooler it stays. Would you not wash your car before you wax it? That's essentially what I would be doing if I put the UV protection on, sealing the dirt in.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
No offense meant, but what's the obsession with the roof having to be white? If it's not leaking, is in good shape, other than visually, why stress out over it.

And personally, a pressure washer is the last thing I would use on a rubber roof. Yeah, there's no problem unless you get too close, but big problem if you do. And all that scrubbing and washing has got to be taking years of useful life off the roof. I go over mine once a year with Spic & Span, Murphy's Oil Soap, and a SOFT brush. I'm just interested in getting the superficial road grime, dust, and dirt off.

i do not get it either :h

i always claim that the dirt and bird stuff up there helps protect the roof. BTW if you are as old and fat as me you would have to use a mirror attached to the end of a 12 foot stick to look up there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The cheap spray cleaner with bleach, from the dollar store, will make the roof white.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
No offense meant, but what's the obsession with the roof having to be white? If it's not leaking, is in good shape, other than visually, why stress out over it.

And personally, a pressure washer is the last thing I would use on a rubber roof. Yeah, there's no problem unless you get too close, but big problem if you do. And all that scrubbing and washing has got to be taking years of useful life off the roof. I go over mine once a year with Spic & Span, Murphy's Oil Soap, and a SOFT brush. I'm just interested in getting the superficial road grime, dust, and dirt off.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pressure washer also.....just be careful and not get too close. Works good.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
My last MH had a TPO roof membrane. It was over 15 years old when we sold it and the roof was still in good shape. After years of climbing up there and scrubbing it with Murphy's Oil Soap, I used a pressure washer and was amazed at the difference. Not only was it a LOT easier and quicker but the roof ended up a lot whiter than ever before. I used a 1600 psi 120v power washer and it didn't seem to bother the roof at all. I did it several times after that with no ill effects.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System