cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

deep cycle battery suggestions

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a cost effective deep cycle battery for my RV that's got a rating around 200AH. Something that can run lights and TV (off an inverter) at night for manny hours and that can take a charge fast. Upwards of 45 amp at 15volts. I guess that limits me to lead/acid or possibly AGM.
Like to hear some opinions on what brand gives the best quality per dollar.
50 REPLIES 50

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
East Penn has always made good batteries. Exide, Johnson Controls, and US BATTERY make products that are not on my preferred list. LTH makes good light-duty batteries.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
3-cell or 6-cell has consumed hundreds of thousands of words on this forum. Not a silly question. But it stirs up the pot. By the way enjoy Sam's Club batteries - every last one is made by LTH in Monterrey, Mexico.

Thos Lion batteries...Stated you set your converter for AGM charging and DONT ever eq.

Sams is the most bang for the buck!

You think the 4 Sam'as Club Batteries that have been going strong since 2005 are made in Mexico? Purchased on the East Coast Sam's Club.

I think what REALLY made the S.C. batteries last Soooo long was I swapped out the converter for a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp with charge wizzard after purchasing the Sam's Club bats!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, LiON is CRAZY expensive and don't you need special chargers for those? I will add that I think a battery discussion absolutely should include charger information as well.

Jose

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Shortly after purchasing my 93 Pace I purchased 4 6-volt batteries. I ALSO upgraded my original converter with a Progressive Dynamics 60amp with charge wizzard. Just checked the SOC with a hydrometer, all looking good. they have 2005 stickers on them!

My current 07 Discover will be needing 4 new 6-volts. Still on the fence with what to purchase this time around. Planning to add about 750+ watts of solar soon!

I did get all excited reading about these new Lion batteries but I might have to wait a few years. I don't have 6K to drop on Lion batteries! Almost shad my shorts when I saw the prices! I just can't drop 6 to 12K on batteries.

This place has some 400AmpHr Lions but note the prices.
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/product/12v-300ah-lithium-ion-battery.php
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just bought Interstate GC2-XHD-ULT, 232AH, 66.5lbs for $110 wholesale.
Compare to Trojan T105, 225AH, 62lbs and Trojan T125, 240AH, 66lbs.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. I mistyped. I mean't 12 volts.
Playing on a new computer, and trying to learn windows 8.1, seems to be taking all of my brain power.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wbwood wrote:
The amp hours for the golf cart batteries (210-230) is that per battery? Or is that for the 2 connected together? Or is it the same no matter what?

Technically the answer to your question is YES.

It is the amp hour capacity of each battery
It is also the amp hour capacity of the two in series.

Since these are six volt batteries, you must use them in pairs, wired in series, and when you wire batteries in series you add the VOLTAGE so Six plus Six = 12 volts

But the amp hours do not change. They remain 210-230 depending on the specific battery.

When you hook them up they become, effectively one 12 volt battery. Treat them as such.

Also, I know many who go on and on how batteries need to be identical, Same Age, Type, Size, Make and model and so on.

This applies 100% to the two batteries in the six volt pair.

BUT, if you run 2 or more pairs, it applies on a pair by pair basis.

You can also parallel a single 12 volt battery with a pair of sixes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No dog in this one...

However any battery with .090" plates is a "true" deep cycle" battery. That fact may help to define the difference between them and pretenders.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Because true 6 volt batteries are rare, heavy, and EXPENSIVE.

Define rare and EXPENSIVE. Most are saying they buy 6 volt deep cycles for around a hundred dollars or the same price as 12 volt versions.
Apples and oranges.

I have never see a true 12 volt deep cycle battery for under 100.00.... They are hybrids. That includes the link to the Oriellys one posted previously. You won't find 12 volt true deep cycle batteries at most of the major auto parts stores, or the big box stores such as Wal Mart. Lots of people believe that those are deep cycle as the label on them is marketed as such... Weigh them. They don't have nearly as much lead as a true deep cycle.

6 volts can (which are DEEP CYCLE) be had well under 100.00 at sams and Costco everywhere. Trojans for slightly over 100.00.

I have used both with great success.

So, now you are saying that 6 volt deep cycle batteries are neither rare nor expensive? Make up your mind.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cstoliker wrote:
My local SAMs club has Duracell 214ah GCs for $87. I'm gonna run down and get two or four. Thanks guys
I've got a couple of the Duracell's from Sams. They are working out well.

My local Sams had a $5 core charge. I paid the core charges rather than swapping batteries because recycle yards are paying about twice as much.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Because true 6 volt batteries are rare, heavy, and EXPENSIVE.

Define rare and EXPENSIVE. Most are saying they buy 6 volt deep cycles for around a hundred dollars or the same price as 12 volt versions.
Apples and oranges.

I have never see a true 12 volt deep cycle battery for under 100.00.... They are hybrids. That includes the link to the Oriellys one posted previously. You won't find 12 volt true deep cycle batteries at most of the major auto parts stores, or the big box stores such as Wal Mart. Lots of people believe that those are deep cycle as the label on them is marketed as such... Weigh them. They don't have nearly as much lead as a true deep cycle.

6 volts can (which are DEEP CYCLE) be had well under 100.00 at sams and Costco everywhere. Trojans for slightly over 100.00.

I have used both with great success.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
My local SAMs club has Duracell 214ah GCs for $87. I'm gonna run down and get two or four. Thanks guys

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Large distributors are by and large a lot more savvy about their product. They have to be. Golf courses purchase batteries by the pallet and golf pros refuse to deal with dummies.

When purchasing batteries from a tiny retailer take along a bathroom scale
Sometimes they themselves get the wool pulled over their eyes but the buyer is the one that suffers with a 55-pound battery when it's supposed to weigh 62.