cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delete a Propane Solenoid Safety Valve?

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Working and working to get a 2002 Ford Tioga 26' back on the road. Now runs and drives. Working on propane. Needed for fridge, range and water heater. Propane tank is half full (tested with 3 different gauges mounted on tank). Replaced the propane regulator today. Still no propane flowing to any appliance. Cleaned all electrical connections. Didn't help. Thinking the Solenoid Safety Valve is closed/non-functional. It mounts just downstream from the Regulator. I'm reading that they are no longer required or installed. Is it just a matter of deleting this valve and capping off the wires? They run $400-$500 to replace with original. Alternatively, I'm interested in a generic replacement. Your opinions, please.

Original Solenoid Safety Valve is Parker NM22-0511.
23 REPLIES 23

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many rigs have LP detector with no solenoid.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The hydrocarbon detector (propane) and the propane safety shutoff solenoid are designed to operate together to minimize the possibility of propane leaks in the interior of your motor home. If you disable the system, you no longer have that safety feature. If, for some reason, the flame blows out on your range top, propane gas will now begin to fill your motor home. If someone (by accident) jars one of the range burner valves, opening it without lighting the burner, the same thing happens. Now, it's just a matter of time until the propane reaches stoichiometry, finds an ignition source, and, . . . . . . . . Bye!

In similar fashion, many fuel injected cars have an inertially activated fuel pump shutoff valve that cuts power to the fuel pump relay after an accident. (even if the engine remains running) After a serious accident, with fuel lines breached, pouring fuel on a high potential fire hazard is generally NOT a good idea.

When you are racing and have a serious accident, there's always a track safety crew to come and quickly extinquish any fire(s). In your motor home, . . . not so.

Chum lee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Also, some solenoids are normally closed and others are normally open. So if you removed voltage, the valve would close. Others would be if you applied voltage the valve would close.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I did full replacement Safe t alert
detector with no solenoid is a good replacement that includes CO detector.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM Propane detector is a 7719 from CCI, who went out of business in 2008. If you no longer have the 7719 detector, then just remove the valve. Do not apply 12 volts to the valve coil. The coil is designed to work with the original CCI detector and is 9 volts. If you have the original 7719, it can repaired by Larry at ccirepairs@gmail.com
Behind the detector are 3 wires. 2 red wires go to the battery banks. The yellow wire goes to the valve coil and supplies ground to the detector.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Post the make and model of your LP detector? There is normally a date on the back of the unit.
When I changed my LP detector, leaving solenoid in place, I had to upgrade the solenoid as the old one was not rated for continuous duty.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I'll give the LP Detector some attention tomorrow before I delete the solenoid.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The LP solenoid is powered by the LP detector. Without power from the detector, the valve is closed, not allowing for fuel to flow.
Solenoid is not required. Yes, you can just remove it!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow