cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone know how many amps an Fantastic Fan pulls?

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know about running this thru the night on my two 6 volt batteries running as a 12 volt with a total of 432 amp hours.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD
43 REPLIES 43

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
n3eqf wrote:
Two GC2 (6-volt) batteries in series, 216 Ah each. Output is 12-volts and 216 Ah. Moot point. Plenty of juice for a fan! ๐Ÿ™‚

Aaaah, so the Ah do not double. Got it.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

n3eqf
Explorer
Explorer
Two GC2 (6-volt) batteries in series, 216 Ah each. Output is 12-volts and 216 Ah. Moot point. Plenty of juice for a fan! ๐Ÿ™‚
Tom
2015 Thor Windsport 27K

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good nuff to say the fan versus the batteries by itself is not a significant load.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I took a picture of the batteries with my phone, but due to the Photobucket BS, I cannot post them. The batteries say 216 amp hours on the label. They are GC2 is the model. The name of them is AutoCraft. They are made by Johnson Industries battery. I think I purchased them at AutoZone.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"PWM motor speed controllers should be 21KHZ or higher, to keep them from Audibly Whining (to humans) at reduced speeds"

Where's that @#$%&! yapping dog?

Thanks for the tip Landy. That may save me from making a sound decision about which PWM to buy.

Some of these answers are sure pun to answer

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
PWM motor speed controllers should be 21KHZ or higher, to keep them from Audibly Whining ( to humans) at reduced speeds.

A PWM motor speed controller should allow infinite speeds upto the max.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That would be quite the L-16. Nominal amp hour capacity is 316 AH 20 hr rate. There are some stuffed jars with 380 ampere hour ratings. 432 should be something like a special jar Rolls unit. Or, it's a quote made in error.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What 432 amp hour 6 volt batteries do you have? Model, maker etc. Those two must be heavy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
432 Ah 6 volt batteries? Are those the tall 8L16 size? I've wondered about using those in an RV, where did you find a spot tall enough to put them?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Go online. Google DC Motor Speed Control.

Set Fantastic Fan on # 3

Throttle with new control. Works great with the Endless Breeze portables. So does a MECHANICAL air conditioner thermostat which mounts directly into the Endless Breeze and switches DC.

Yup I'm a DC Control Freak. Sue me.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm

"Invader build huge blaze. Must sit back and freeze or clothes catch fire"

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I close the door when using the fantastic phart fan. There's a nice 1 inch gap at the bottom of the door to the bathroom, to clear the carpet, makes for a good place to draw air from when the door is fully closed, to ventilate up and out. It makes a nice inlet for air from the rest of the trailer. Turn the fan on, do your business with the door closed, and the fan will work as designed, fantastic at removing moisture, stink, whatever. Slow speed is plenty good enough for me.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
I have 2 fantastic fans from 2000.

All measurements with clamp on ammeter at the converter wire/fuse for each fan....converter was on with 1 new AGM 12 volt battery fully charged.

Front bedroom fan with temp control, bulb style. 4 amp fuse, 25 watt motor/5000RST
Low 0.8 amps 5.4 mph 509 ft/min
Med 1.3 amps. 6.6 mph 605 ft/min
High 1.8 amps 7.5 mph 700 ft/min

Rear fan no temp ctrl, 6 amp fuse, 36 watt motor/400R
Low 0.8 amps 6.1 mph 561 ft/min
Med 1.1 amps 7.6 mph 700 ft/min
High 1.5 amps 8.8 mph. 826 ft/min

I have no idea why the lower wattage motor is pulling more amps except that voltage drop must be in play since the rear fan is only a few feet from converter and the bedroom is a 20 foot wire run.

Update:
Edited after Mex made me run to the store to get a new 2032 battery for my wind speed meter that's been sitting in my toolbox for a few years. TP test is too subjective....single or double ply?

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
They should all be exactly the same as RV manufacturers all use thick wiring of the same exact length for a precisely known amount of voltage drop and all RV batteries will have the same voltage always.

As if.

Also, the amount of dust build up on the blades makes a difference in amp draw. My computer muffin fans, I was surprised to find that a dusty impeller reduces amp draw. Not surprising is that a clean fan moves more air, but it also makes more noise, as it is spinning faster.

Restrictions, like a dusty screen behind the impeller also increases noise, greatly reduces efficacy, and uses slightly less amperage, in my experience.

Higher voltage and higher speeds means more amp draw on muffin fan motors, in my experience.

Don't know about fantastik.

Measure voltage at fan, not battery.

Or just argue and shake your fist at the sky