cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic electric awning

JHblack
Explorer
Explorer
Okay folks, I've searched this issue here and have not found much so if this is a repetitive question I'm sorry.

I have just purchased in August a 2014 Work & Play TTTH with a Dometic Electric awning.

In prepping for a trip this week end I extended the awning and it worked fine.

When I retracted the awning it closed as I expected however the arm on the front of my TT did not collapse flush with the box/camper. There is probably a 2-2.5 inch gap at the top where it did not close completely.

I tried to cycle it a few times thinking this would help not no such luck. I can take my hand and push the frame and it closes but it separates again when I remove my hand. I saw several recalls but nothing that addressed my issue. I'm guessing it could be the gas shock but it stands to reason that should cause problems when extending.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I hope this does not prevent a much needed trip with wife and a 6 year old that will experience her first camping trip.

Thanks again.
JB
3 REPLIES 3

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the fabric slipping, I found a quick solution.
Look at the fabric on the roller as it is rolling up.
Is it creeping 'away from one end as it rolls as mine does?
If so, I simply hold up that end of the awning arm a foot or so as my wife retracts the awning.
It seems to pull the fabric back into position and then the awning arms seat well after that.
Might work for you and it a simple fix.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I has same issue and turned out that the awning end fabric had slid in the horizontal exterior wall groove causing the awning to not be aligned properly. I found the set screw on the groove was not tightened properly allowing the fabric to slide in the groove about 1" (just enough to cause the awning arms to bind and not close completely. I backed off the set screw, slid awning fabric back into place, tested operation, and then tightened screw to ensure the screw penetrated the fabric bead. The awing has closed properly since. I saw no reason to make to dealer as this was one of those nuisance adjustment items that I could handle with ease.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get it to the shop to get it fixed before your scheduled trip, take a strip of velcro and make several wraps to keep it tightly in place. If you're worried about the velcro slipping, you can put a wrap of duct tape around it in order to keep it in place.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)