cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic refrig question

Born2RV
Explorer
Explorer
Once again I turn to fellow RV'ers for your expertise.

I am helping a friend with a Dometic refrigerator - in the back, at the bottom of the access area, there is a dry yellowish powder like substance. Could this be dried ammonia? Or some magical substance left behind by big foot. The RV is used quite a bit, just a bit shy of full time.

Thanks in advance
2007 Freightliner M2 Mountain Master (will work for fuel!)
2006 KZ New Vision Sportster
former 2006 F250
former KZ Sportster 29p
former 1995 Coach House 192TB
Live long & prosper
9 REPLIES 9

bigwheel1970
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to me a while back.In my case, I chose to replace the cooling unit. I am very happy I did. It only took a couple of hours and fridge worked better then new. I used a company called Arcticold. They build brand new aftermarket units with a lifetime warranty and sell them for around $600. They even sent me a video on how to install it.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many have gone "residential" for replacement fridges. Some call them "party" or "dorm" or "apartment" fridges since the "family size" most of us would want at home are too big for most RV installations.
MANY advantages. RES fridges are getting better and small ones are coming out in many dimensions at falling prices. RV fridges are getting more expensive and their durability (the cooling unit with the ammonia, hydrogen and powder) hasn't improved a lick. RV fridge might burn your coach down and RES probably won't.
IF Your Friend's Personal Style in RVing is to go from home where there's AC power to cool a RES fridge, To and From Hookup Sites, then by all means go RES. They can keep food cold over a travel day. Just pack a cooler for the trip so the fridge isn't opened till it's running again. It'll cool back down faster than an RV fridge.
Part of the value of an RV to us is that it can run stand-alone. We have the potential of storm evacuations so we value the ability of our fridge to run awhile on LPG.
The RES fridge fans haven't talked about is re-sale appeal or price. Used RV's seem to be a Buyer's Market. Shoppers can easily reject an RV with Old Tires, Poor Fridge, etc. etc. That stuff seems to make an RV easier to sell, but maybe not at a higher price.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Born2RV
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you...

Sadly new units are $1200+, used are questionable and over $700. Thinking of replacing it with a 110 only unit and adjusting the cabinet. Anyone do that?

Thanks again.
2007 Freightliner M2 Mountain Master (will work for fuel!)
2006 KZ New Vision Sportster
former 2006 F250
former KZ Sportster 29p
former 1995 Coach House 192TB
Live long & prosper

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cooling unit has cracked.

Hydrogen has already leaked out so chances of fire are minimal.

Ammonia has already leaked out so chances of skin/eye irritation is minimal

Sodium chromate is what has left the yellow residue.

Fridge is NOT cooling anymore.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking from experience, the unit is done for. Back coil assembly replacement or refrigerator replacement is the fix.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The cooling unit is leaking, it is kaput. Do not try using a leaking cooling unit, unless your goal is to burn it to the ground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Chris said, it's stuff that's leaked out of the cooling unit, and not good news for the fridge or the fridge owner.

It's not the ammonia itself, which is gaseous at normal atmospheric temperatures and pressures (or often dissolved in water), but anticorrosion chemicals used in the refrigerator, typically sodium chromate.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it is time for a new refrigerator or at least a new cooling unit for the old one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's the sign of a leaking cooling unit.
-- Chris Bryant