cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drive On Tire Changer

images
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in the drive on tire changers to use on a tandem axel trailer.
If i use a jack under the u-bolts it works but the center point between the tires pivots and the tire I am working on is actually higher and more difficult to get out from under the body.
I think if I use the drive on gizmos to raise the opposite tire than the one I am working on thereby lifting the other tire off the ground it might work better.
Anyone have any experience with the "Tire Aid or Trailer Aid" or similar devices.
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny
8 REPLIES 8

images
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input.
I took the plunge and ordered one, it looks like it should work.
The board under it to give it extra height if that is needed, and if you bevel the end of the board it should make a smooth transition.
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have carried my Trailer-Aide for years and only had to use it once; before I switched to Michelin XPS Ribs.
The Aide by itself did not raise the opposite flat tire enough so I had to add a board under it; then it worked.
At home when I have to remove a tire I use a bottle jack placed on the frame behind the back tire.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Trailer Aide and it worked great on my previous 5th wheel. I was able to change / replace all four tires using it and my spare. It worked just as designed and very easy and simple to use.

I have not tried it on my new 5th wheel

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree they won't work on all trailers.. Only used one one time. on a Semi.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't work on all trailers. Depends on the suspension design and particularly the equalizer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tandem trailer wheels? Build your own ramp out of 2x6s glued and screwed together. Easy, inexpensive, effective when changing a tandem TT tire. Loosen flat tire lug nuts and the ramp can study that tire. Then run good tire up the ramp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't have that tool but many seem to post that they are happy with the result.

Search box might find something.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • If you jack under the spring pad it lifts the axle (tire) up and into the wheel well?
  • And you have duals and want to lift the entire axle exposing the outer tire?
  • Meaning lift the inside tire by placing a ramp under the inside tire?
  • Because the distance from a frame rail to the ground is inconvenient?