cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual 30 amp rv's?

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
Was doing some "window" shopping on Camping World site, and saw a dogbone for dual 30 amp to a single 50 amp receptacle. Are there actually RV's that have 2 30 amp hookups??
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m
24 REPLIES 24

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup.

Dtank wrote:
myredracer wrote:

We have a 30 amp TT and if I ever just had to have more power, like say for a 2nd AC,

I'd install a 20 amp power inlet on the side of our TT and run a 20 amp extension cord to the 15/20 amp recept. on a pedestal.

Like this poster did ??

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

We have a 30 amp TT and if I ever just had to have more power, like say for a 2nd AC,

I'd install a 20 amp power inlet on the side of our TT and run a 20 amp extension cord to the 15/20 amp recept. on a pedestal.

Like this poster did ??

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:

I did this mod in lieu of converting my trailer to a true 50A service feed because of the cost of conversion

and not wanting to wrestle that 50A Anaconda cord in colder weather.

The *Disneyland Adapter* is what it is - "Mickey Mouse"..:S

Wrestle the Anaconda:
Very easy solution -

#1.
12v powered or hand crank reel with MUCH more flexible 50amp cord.
Pull out how much you need, push button (or crank) to reel it back in.

Located in front compt - hardwired to power panel in basement.

OR

Carry a shorter Anaconda - with quality cord.
Use when/where you can - also serves as an extension cord.

Either one is an "E Ticket" ride..:C

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few different "wye" adapters on the market for RV use.

This one takes a single 50 amp recept. and splits it into 2 x 30 amp F which is the one OP is talking about. When would you ever need one of these?

This one takes 2 x 30 amp recept and turns it into a single 50 amp female. This one wouldn't work if someone is using the site nextdoor.

This one takes a 15 amp & 30 amp recept. and turns it into a 50 amp female. This one would leave you with a GFCI on one leg.

And then there is this adapter made by JTB that takes 30 amp and 20 amp pedestal receptacles and turns it into 50 amps. Their website says: will allow you to put the full 50 AMPS of service available at a Typical RV Park 30 AMP Power Pole to work in your RV, regardless of whether the 20 AMP auxiliary outlet is a GFCI or not. This is incorrect because you will only get 50 amps @ 120V, not the full 50 amp @ 120/240V.

There are no issues in having GFCIs in series other than you can't predict which one will trip on a ground fault. I have occasionally pondered the idea of installing a 30 amp GFCI main breaker in our panel am not sure if there is a downside to doing that.

We have a 30 amp TT and if I ever just had to have more power, like say for a 2nd AC, I'd install a 20 amp power inlet on the side of our TT and run a 20 amp extension cord to the 15/20 amp recept. on a pedestal.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
modern RV parks use GFI receptacles
I have NEVER seen a 30A or 50A GFI receptacle. 15A and 20A yes, but that's not what OP is talking about.

This adapter might work for me: I have two 30A plugs on my garage for when friends come to visit. When my RV is there alone, I could plug my RV 50A plug into the adapter and have twice the power than with my dogbone adapter.

If you stay at the Trail of Tears State Park in Missouri, you will find the 30 amp receptacles are GFCI protected. I've also run into them in a few other parks, although I'll admit they are rare...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Whatever that Rube Goldberg contraption is doesn't look any easier than just using the cord your rig was designed with.
Perhaps you missed the post that he's added a second 30A circuit to his rig for more power which of course no RV mfg would ever do. Better to convert his rig to 50A.

But he could just plug one 30A cord in the 30A plug and use a 50/30 adapter on the second 30A cord.

In spite of the picture with all of the looping wire I think he has a simple 50A male to 2 30A female adapters. With chain. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Redterpos3 wrote:
Was doing some "window" shopping on Camping World site, and saw a dogbone for dual 30 amp to a single 50 amp receptacle. Are there actually RV's that have 2 30 amp hookups??

Well I'm sort of confused on what you actually saw, but my trailer now has a dual 30A system feed by a 50A to dual 30A dogbone. I added the second 30A service feed and you can see all I did HERE. Below is a pic of the 50A to dual 30A dogbone I made ...

I did this mod in lieu of converting my trailer to a true 50A service feed because of the cost of conversion and not wanting to wrestle that 50A Anaconda cord in colder weather.
Whatever that Rube Goldberg contraption is doesn't look any easier than just using the cord your rig was designed with. Frankly it looks like Medusa's head of snakes. And what is the chain for, other than to create a spot where it can wear through the cable sheathing and deliver a nasty shock to the unaware?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes the adapter works but it has some potential serious issues. It shorts the 2 grounds and the 2 neutrals which means either one can be overloaded. Also since there is no dual CB either male plug when one is removed may be hot due to feedback from the RV.

It can also overload the rig neutral with up to 60A.

If I was a park owner I would not allow this adapter.

Bob

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Golden_HVAC wrote:
modern RV parks use GFI receptacles
I have NEVER seen a 30A or 50A GFI receptacle. 15A and 20A yes, but that's not what OP is talking about.

This adapter might work for me: I have two 30A plugs on my garage for when friends come to visit. When my RV is there alone, I could plug my RV 50A plug into the adapter and have twice the power than with my dogbone adapter.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
John,

The typical use of the dual 30A male to 50A female is on a 30A pedestal with a 20A plug and it's the 20A plug that is usually GFI protected. The GFI plug will trip and not work with this adapter.

You are quite right, they will not work with the 20 amp GFI on 1 leg. They work very well with 2 30 amp legs. Still limited to 30 amps per outlet.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
John,

The typical use of the dual 30A male to 50A female is on a 30A pedestal with a 20A plug and it's the 20A plug that is usually GFI protected. The GFI plug will trip and not work with this adapter.

One common name for this adapter is The Cheater Adapter. There are a number of potential issues with this adapter and I don't recommend it's use.

Bob

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

I think that what you saw was a pair of 30 amp plugs going into a 50 amp receptacle. While it might work in some situations, modern RV parks use GFI receptacles, and will not work with that adapter.

You might find a few RV parks with a pair of 30 amp receptacles at a RV site, however it would be a 'pair' of campsites sharing a single power post, with two 30 amp plugs - 1 for each RV. SO if the neighbor's site is filled, they will use on, and you will only be able to use one of the plugs, and not this adapter.

Any 20 amp GFI that you plug this adapter into will trip, because all of the power going out on the 'hot' line is not returning on the 'neutral' line.

At first I was thinking that you saw a used RV with twin power cords. While that is possible, the past owner might have installed 'anything' - but RIVA will not allow two power cords on one RV, so it was not installed at the factory that way.

Good luck!

Fred.
I do not doubt you. But we traveled 7k miles last year from Indiana to Oregon and back and never saw a 30amp or 50 amp GFI protected receptacle in any campground. In fact I have not seen either in a campground in the last 14 years any where. Not saying they may not be out there though.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redterpos3 wrote:

Not from the factory but some folks will add another system .

If you are talking about 2 female 30's and on male 50 The primary use of those is putting two 30 amp RV's on one site.

If you are talking about 2 30 amp MALE and on 50 amp FEMALE the primary use of those is tripping GFCI cause that is what will happen if you plug into a GFCI protected outlet. I recommend against those

But if you have a 30 amp rig.. That one with 2 FEMALE 30's.. Lets you pick L-1 or L-2, run 2 rigs or you can run a 2nd 30 amp service to the motor home/trailer.. There are reasons for this. I have a cord for the job in fact.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times