cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

duo therm furnace won't stay lit

rwmurdock1728
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced blower motor in my furnace in my '87 Avion, since then the burner comes on and then goes out. It appears to be an issue with the air blowing back and causing the problem. I can remove the unit and hook it up on the work bench and it runs fine. I can even put blocks under the unit and it does fine. The squirrel cage fan can only go in one way. I have bypassed the sail switch and still have the problem. I checked the duct and vents and there is no restriction. I'm stumped.
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you have it out on bench it fires and sustains main flame for how long?
When installed....how long is main flame staying lit?

IS this a DSI model or pilot model?
IF DSI....is the 12V DC correct polarity...gas valve won't stay open if polarity reversed. Also have to have good clean tight grounds on furnace

Are the vents installed correctly....the 'coned vent' is flue outlet.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rwmurdock1728
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the high limit, didn't bypass it, but when the furnace is turned on, the failure is quick, I don't think, long enough for the high limit to open.

rwmurdock1728
Explorer
Explorer
I blew out the gas line, replaced the regulator, problem persisted, ran a direct line from a separate source still had problem. Have taken the entire unit apart, all chambers clear. I thought maybe the squirrel cage might be out of alignment causing air to blow back, or perhaps something not sealed properly???????

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Have you confirmed that you have gas flow to the furnace?

An oil trap in line to furnace can block gas flow.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Post the Model number of the furnace please. 1987---That year and around that Duotherm produced the 9000 series and took it OFF the market after a few years, because of intermittant staying lit. It was due to the CASE PRESSURE. A symptom was as you described, Works on the bench AND if you remove or slightly remove the case cover when installed, it lights and stays lit. IF YOU HAVE THIS MODEL, A REPUTABLE SERVICE COMPANY WILL NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR. It would be a waste of time and just cost the customer money. They CANNOT be repaired and be guaranteed to work. There are very few parts and Dometic has not supplied parts for over 20 years. The only sure fix is to replace with a compatible model that will fit in the space. Dometic used to send out NEW units under warranty and they sometimes failed to stay lit. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That sound like you are cycling on the high limit switch.....

Runs fine on bench but on/off when installed...air blowing back

You need to make sure combustion/exhaust chamber is free, clean & clear of any obstructions. Overheating in combustion chamber due to inadequate air flow thru it and high limit switch opens shutting down burner.

High limit switch is in same circuit as sail switch....so when you jumpered the sail switch the high limit switch was still in the circuit going to control board
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rwmurdock1728
Explorer
Explorer
not sure where the sensors are that you are referencing

rwmurdock1728
Explorer
Explorer
intake and exhaust are clear

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
are the tubes that connect to the furnace when installed in the TT clear or do they have wasp nest in them.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Sensors may be bad or not attached to the proper location. Or bad ground.