cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E 350 with dead differential

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would take advantage of the numerous learned readers of this forum to see what I should do with my E 350 van.

It's a 97, with 3.73's and posi-traction. My mechanic, whom I have used for years and years with great results, says he can move the drive shaft up and down with his hands at the differential. He says the differential is shot. He didn't even want me to drive it home. He wants about $1600 to rebuild it.

The van is not worth much more than that (235,000 miles, 17 years old), but I hate throwing stuff out.

How hard is it to swap out a differential myself? Junkyard swap?

Any suggests would be appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Hooper is well known and respected here in the Valley. I know quite a few 4x4 guys that have rock crawled and beat the sn-ot out of their diffs that have had Hooper do the rebuilds, with quality work and parts. I think if you aren't too abusive, your rear end problems are gone for good.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
1600 is about the going price for rear diff......includes new gears and all new bearings. One thing with used is you just never know is how bad the inside the diff could be.
cpaulsen

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Orcadrvr wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Does the original mechanic actually do rear ends himself?
Even dealers often send this work out to a good shop and double the invoice.

I think he probably would have sent it out, but I'm not sure.

I have used him for about 15 years, so I do trust him. It just worked out better this way.

Hmmmmm - apparently about $900. "better"!?

R&R of differentials simply may *not* be part of his expertise - but (IMO) would be checking for second estimates for any other expensive repairs..;)

~

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

I think he probably would have sent it out, but I'm not sure.

I have used him for about 15 years, so I do trust him. It just worked out better this way.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I couldn't find one with limited slip, didn't have the time or space to swap it out anyway, so I took it to Hooper's Rear Ends in Sun Valley, Ca.

He quoted me a price of between $500 (if only bearings and seals), to $700 if he needed to swap in a set of used gears. He ended up swapping in the gears, but I am pleased overall.

Very nice people. It's apparently been in business for a very long time. Their office is filled with hundreds of gears, axles, differentials, and related parts. It took them about a day and a half, and I am really pleased.

They were puzzled by the fact that the rear end wasn't howling, or groaning, or whining, even though the pinion was flopping around in the housing.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions and info.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tittering in the middle of a differential crisis. Someone summon the Usher. 🙂

Tip: Make sure the threads on the spindles allow the nuts to spin down by hand.

My money is on a rebuild at least you know what you've got and the axle tubes are straight. Limited slip clutches do wear out and sticking the wrong lube in makes things worse. You never know why the junk differential ended up there. Maybe a little problem between the van and The Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe.

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Friend just bought one in LA Ford E-350. Eight hundred dollars. Used. 30 day warranty. Pick A Part, for an E-350 limited slip? Shirley you jest...

Please stop calling me Shirley...

(from the greatest movie ever made!)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Friend just bought one in LA Ford E-350. Eight hundred dollars. Used. 30 day warranty. Pick A Part, for an E-350 limited slip? Shirley you jest...

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
The pinion angle from level on the diff should equal the angle of the trans. If not it will vibrate and shorten ujoint life. If you can find one from another van you should be good.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice, one and all.

Thanks again.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the correct axle, yes, it's a bolt-in. Does the replacement need to be LS? Non-LS gives you a better chance of finding a transplant.
Yes, there IS Pinion Angle. The idea is that the connection between the rear end of the Driveshaft and the "Face" of the Pinion Input (the Differential half of the Rear U-Joint) should square up. In other words the U-Joint should be Straight Onto the Differential. Naturally the ride height of the van comes into play, and the adjustment is normally done with Shims under the Axle mounting to the Springs.
Here's why I'd like to see you replace the entire Axle: IF this failure resulted from low lubricant level... Or if it caused lubricant loss and was driven that way for awhile... Then the Rear Wheel Bearings are also probably damaged. When the lube is at correct level, it works its way into the rear hubs and that's how they're lubricated. You may see discussion of packing rear bearings on this type axle but it's only needed when they've been apart, drained of lube, cleaned, etc. Then new seals and an adjustment process are required.
Therefore, much cleaner to just get a GOOD axle assembly. Remove the level plug and see if it's full and the lube looks, well, like lube. Plug will likely have a magnet on it. If it's full of metal shreds, find another axle.
I ended up leaving for lunch before posting this, so some of the above is duplicate...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the space and equipment and maybe a little help and are a hands on guy, doing the salvage yard swap out is the way to go. Get a price first.

Your "mechanic" sure knows a lot about what is inside there without laying some greasy eye balls on it. :h And he may be right.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes differential swap is bolt in with no gear set-up.
Still need to connect service brakes, emergency brake, shocks and springs.

I would fix your existing axle unless you are looking for bare minimum repair to sell the van right away. But then I never have good luck with used or substitute low cost repairs. So I am a bit biased.