cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest way to wire backup camera

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVers love the idea of a backup camera. Great for actually "Backing Up!" and also to watch the toad or to simply see what is behind you while traveling down the road.

Backup camera systems can be purchased on Ebay and Amazon for under $50. And the video quality is quite good. I've installed over a dozen of them in friends and families vehicles over the past few years.

I couple years ago I bought this system and installed it on my truck which tows a Toy Hauler and various other trailers. For $38 it is amazing piece of electronics gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C76ZXC?keywords=backup%20cameras&qid=1445273441&ref_=sr_1_17&re...

The camera is mounted over the license plate and it is a huge aid to backing up to attach the trailer.

But I also want a camera at the rear of the trailer. Backing into a tight camping spot or simply to see what is behind me while traveling down the road.
I bought a second camera similar to the one that came with the above system on Amazon. The TV monitor has two inputs so I would be able to switch back and forth between them.

But running a wire 23' from the back of the trailer to the truck and then another 20 feet or so to the trucks dashboard seemed daunting. Plus I'd need some type of quick disconnect for when the trailer wasn't attached.

In searching for another solution I found a 2.4G wireless transmitter and receiver that can send the video signal from the camera to the TV monitor, in full color, wirelessly. This kit only cost $10 so I figured I'd take a chance.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z9E4DW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I work in the RF boradcast industry. We build and market digital modulators for the transmission of HD video signal over coax cable. We always preach Rule #1...."If you can use wire...use it!"..."Trust the copper!"... I'm not a huge fan of anything "wireless" as I see lots of issues with interference and poor video quality. But sometimes ease of installation trumps using the wire...

So this wireless system shows up in under 48 hours from Amazon (How do they do that!!!)and I hooked the receiver up in the truck. The transmitter I hooked to a small 12V test battery I use and tried out the distance by walking away with the camera and into the rear yard of my house. At over 150' away, going through a couple walls and the steel body of the truck, it worked GREAT! Video quality is amazing!

From the rear of the trailer to the cab of the truck is no problem.

I mounted the camera above the rear loading gate on the Toy Hauler and grabbed power from the center clearance light. Took all of 20 minutes!

Turn on the TV in the trucks cab and VOILA! We have video!

We'll have to see how long this inexpensive solution lasts, but it appears to be well made and should be fine. Time will tell!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
10 REPLIES 10

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3 camera wired system in our rig. Works great BUT the rear camera has a bad connection, I can look straight back or tilt downward at the hitch. Will sometimes lose picture moving camera and have to power off/on to get the signal back. Hope it's not too complicated.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Post, so I can find this thread again.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market too. Here is another good thread. Primarily about wireless:

RVS wireless camera system

As for a good wired option, check out the Rear View Safety RVS-770613. You mount camera on back of trailer, run wire to pinbox, use a special coiled harness that plugs into bed of truck (I would mount it beside the fifth wheel harness in my application), then it's wired from there to monitor in cab. Camera system currently runs about $300 with the quick disconnect harness/cable.

RVS wired camera kit

As I pointed out in the other thread, that puts it in the same price range as their wireless option. From what I'm seeing in reviews, the wireless ones can be good options if you buy a decent one. I agree the wired option will likely have the more consistent good picture quality, but there's also many happy owners of the RVS and Tadi Brothers wireless systems.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer wired version, so what would you recommend?
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I agree wired tops wireless every time - but I too wanted the simplicity of wireless. I took a chance on a Chinese something off eBay (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bus-Truck-7-LCD-Rear-view-Monitor-Wireless-Night-Vision-Reverse-Backup-Camera-/321572824516)

And so far, it's been great!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason, my view is in black and white, not color. I checked the settting on the monitor and it looks right. Could be the cheap camera...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak for all 12V cameras. This is the one I'm using on the back of my trailer and the picture quality is more than adequate for my use. I'm sure there must be better cameras out there, I've just not had experience with them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q65ZIK?keywords=backup%20camera&qid=1445285602&ref_=sr_1_4&s=au...

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rbertalotto...

I have a wired back up camera installed on my rig. I have a good 7" monitor that looks good, but the camera is cheap and not very clear.

Please advise on a great camera to buy... 12-volt wired.

Thanks for your help.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you should say that ......Or are you just joshing with me...;)

I just recently bought a Garmin RV760LMT and it came with a wireless camera and I posted about it on this forum.... Although no way near as good video quality as the cameras I referenced above. So I installed it in the trailer to keep an eye on the motorcycle.

Now when a tie down comes detached and the bike falls over and trashes the inside of the trailer, I can witness it!....:B
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, thanks for the review.

I've thought about putting a camera inside the TH so I can watch my motorcycle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900