cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do I find these connectors

tmoo
Explorer
Explorer
My Atwood furnace has been giving me fits. The control board would just buzz and motor would come on. I finally tracked the problem down to a loose connection in the lower wire on the rocker switch on the furnace. The wire has some sort of blue inline crimp connector that is mostly round but incorporates a connector to attach to the spade on the switch. The connector is in the middle of the wire. This connector isn't making good contact and if I work with it the furnace will run just fine.

I need to replace it so I don't have to open the furnace to wiggle it every time it works loose. My question is where in the world do I find the correct replacement connector and what it is called? I could rig it up with a regular butt splice and a tag line with a spade, but really?
17 REPLIES 17

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
They also make crimp bullet connectors with dielectric grease AND heat shrinkable tubing so that the connection is completely sealed. I used that type when I re-wired my Sonic's brake system last month.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I knew those blue folding taps as Scotchlock too. The trailer rental places used them and often not all that carefully.

Carefully applied, they'll serve "OK" for quite awhile. Easier things to do than have the wires positioned "just so" AND get the pliers "just so" and make the squeeze without something getting out of place or crooked. I've reconditioned a lot of those by squeezing the little metal insert so the notches are right again.

On a boat, in wet places, where they can't be stabilized from pulling or vibration, nope. But they have their place (well, a few place....).

Those Bell Tel connectors are pretty nifty. They include a gel inside to keep corrosion out of the pinched wires. Carefully engineered for a certain application to a certain type of wire in a certain environment applied by a trained tech with a certain tool. But I've seen them misused too.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I hate Bullet and Crimp T Connectors. They are susceptible to corrosion as it's to seal them from the weather and they can vibrate loose. I have a boat
where salt water wrecks havoc with these connectors.

I would solder the joints and then use a weather proof shrink tube - may be a little more work up front but much more reliable

Gerry
Gerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Just solder it. If you need to cut for service use then use a butt connector.

X2. Don't make the repair complicated.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those are called Scotchlock T tap connectors.
While I agree that type is not great, there are thousands of Hydroflame furnaces out there that work just fine using them.
-- Chris Bryant

MrWizard
those things are a copy/branch off design of the original BELL telephone plastic button connector for splicing 22ga solid strand copper phone cables in a system junction box
those had a round button in the center, a special tool for the crimping and those wire were NEVER subject to vibration and were locked in a weather proof junction box

the original design worked fine for its intended purpose
the Bas^^^^ off spring "T taps' are worthless
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my vehicle used those t taps and similar. Each one had broken about 1/3 of the stranding on installation, and corrosion took out the second third, then the resistance took out the final third.

I had to splice in a bunch of new wiring everywhere one of those evil contraptions once resided

MrWizard
I really really dislike those T tap things
i would put both wires into a normal push on spade female
or splice/solder them onto a pigtail with said 1/4" female connector
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Blue indicates 14-16 wire gauge.
Bullet connectors

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
tmoo wrote:
These are not a standard connector you will find at Lowe's, I am familiar with all of those. Cutting and crimping the 2 ends in one standard connector may be the best bet. I thought with the huge number of these furnaces out there it might be some sort of connector used just for RVs.

I've never looked for them at Lowes or Home Depot, but they're not hard to find online:

3M 3MBTT 18-14 Gauge T-Tap
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just solder it. If you need to cut for service use then use a butt connector.

Heat shrink spade connectors insulated

I will never use a T-Tap. If I find one it gets replaced asap.

tmoo
Explorer
Explorer
These are not a standard connector you will find at Lowe's, I am familiar with all of those. Cutting and crimping the 2 ends in one standard connector may be the best bet. I thought with the huge number of these furnaces out there it might be some sort of connector used just for RVs.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Displacement connectors like that are notorious sources of intermittent connections. The best fix would probably be to cut and strip the wire and then crimp the two ends in a standard spade connector and push it on the switch terminal. Soldering the two wire ends together before crimping wouldn't hurt either.

I agree with this. Why replace a connector that is clearly not lasting well with an identical one that likely also won't last too well when there are other simple alternatives that do work well?

Another alternative (what I initially thought of) would be to run a pigtail to a spade connector and splice the three together, but Dutch's solution sounds simpler and probably more trouble-free to me, so I would go with that.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Displacement connectors like that are notorious sources of intermittent connections. The best fix would probably be to cut and strip the wire and then crimp the two ends in a standard spade connector and push it on the switch terminal. Soldering the two wire ends together before crimping wouldn't hurt either.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate