cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EDPM roof acrylic coating

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys my truck camper is 5 years old and my rubber roof is in pretty good shape.

Is it a good idea to buy the dicor's 2 steps acrylic coating to extend my roof's life ... ?

Or you guys think i should keep using the regular cleaner and protectant for the moment ?
4 REPLIES 4

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
A stated already if it doesn't need it... But there is no reason why you can't if you want to. It can only help protect it more. The key is to follow the instructions and prep it properly. Here is a before and after pic on my old camper's roof when I applied the Dicor product.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take a look at what the manufacturer recommends. Lots of aftermarket stuff out there all recommending using their products, but the manufacturer on my roof specifically states NOT to use any coatings.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not already on it, I don't think I would put it on unless it was showing wear. On our TC, the acrylic coating doesn't look as good as the EPDM on our 5th wheel. But that may be due to the method used to apply it.

Our 5th Wheel is 17 years old and still looks good. All I've done is clean it and apply some rubber roof treatment once a year for the for the first 12 years and then only once in the last 5 years. It has been kept under a roof when not in use.

Our TC is 13 years old. Original owner put a coat on when it was fairly new. Second owner had purchased some for a second coat but not applied it when I bought it. He included it with the camper but it's been 5 years and I still haven't applied it. May be ruined by now.

The roof is fine as best I can tell.

I have noticed where the acrylic has gotten scratched, the white EPDM underneath seems to be very soft, as in scratch it off with your finger nail. I think this may be due to the primer that goes on first. Not sure, someone could have put something else on it prior to the acrylic coating.

In any case, the acrylic seems to be holding up well, it's just not as smooth as EPDM.
Joe and Evelyn

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unless the protective white layer is giving way to the black membrane underneath, there's no reason to put a coating on.
Wait until it needs it (if ever) before starting that process.

When I traded out last TT in, the roof still looked like new at 13 years old.