cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric brake question ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never removed a hub from the axels on my trailer, and would like to inspect the electric brakes
When I remove the nut and take the hub off, does the electric brake stay in place, or does it come off with the hub?
If it comes off with the hub, do the wires just unplug ?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
6 REPLIES 6

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Use those same adjusters to take a couple turns back. That will allow the drum to clear the brake shoes and the drum w/inner bearing should be pulled off easily.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
rrupert wrote:
If you have not had experience with removing hubs,adjusting the bearings, and working on brakes, it is best to leave the job to an experienced person. That is something that needs to be done properly.

I have pulled the hubs on smaller trailers and regreased the bearings in the past but none with electric brakes.
I just wanted to inspect the brakes.
Sounds like I will have no problem doing that.
I also have adjusted my electric brakes through the slot in the back, and that is a simple job.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with rrupert, however I would find a mechanic who is willing to teach You how to do it properly!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not had experience with removing hubs,adjusting the bearings, and working on brakes, it is best to leave the job to an experienced person. That is something that needs to be done properly.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
The magnet contactor stays with the backing plate. It's on an arm and may look like its flopping around a bit, but that is normal.

Heres a bunch of pictures

Brakes

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You can just take the drum off of the brakes but if you don't take it straight off you may damage the seal in the back.