cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ELECTRICAL HELP

HVFDFIREFIGHTER
Explorer
Explorer
This is not really an RV question, it is for a hunting camp I recently purchased. I have purchased a YAMAHA EF2000is Inverter. It has DC charging capabilities. I will be purchasing two or three batteries (in parallel) to power a camp (lights, shurflow pressure pump, a few duplex sockets, ceiling fan) when the generator is not running. Everything else is Propane (stove, fridge, heater, hot water). What are the best (on the cheaper side) batteries to get? 12 volt Deep cell obviously. Golf cart? Marine? AGM? SLA? What size should I get? Is 2 or 3 @35 amp hour enough or should I go 2 or 3 @ 55 - 125 amp hour range? I know this is hard to answer because it depends on the draw. Draw would be less than 1600 watts Should I use the DC charging from the Generator or should I get a good AC Charging unit? This would charge quicker I would think? I will also be purchasing a 1500Watt 3000 surge power inverter, and connecting it through two panel boxes (the main (A) and sub (B)) to switch on and off from generator to battery(converted to AC) power. I saw a nice engergizer inverter had modified sine wave. Does anyone know of a good inverter in the less than $150 range? Modified sine is fine (True is way to expensive). How much power do inverters use (I have to figure this in on overall watts)? I do not want to go solar at this point. I would have to cut too many trees. As you can see I have many questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First:the DC Charging port..Put a piece of Gorilla Tape over it and forget it (Ok, you do not need to tape over it)

Use the 120vac outlet and a proper converter like a Progressive Dynamics 9200

Second: Batteries:: Remember the Burger King commericals of old "The bigger the burger the better the burger)

Now 12 volt batteries in the 200+ amp hour range are HEAVY (Size 4D look it up) Can you imagine wresteling that much battery into your RV at one time? OUCH.

How about half that weight? Much easier (Still hard)

GC-2+GC-2 = 4D electrically as it turns out

Not only is a pair of Six Volt GC-2 batteries,properly connectd in series, 210-230 amp hours at 12volts (4d capacity) but since golf courses buy these by the pallet load every spring.... They are lower in cost per unit.

Thus the best bang for your buck. And what I recommend

DO NOT FORGET TO ADD DISTILLED WATER WHEN NEEDED.

No matter what some folks say.. The proper fill level is 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the bottom of the filler tube (Source DEKA, who made my batteries)

ONLY add Distilled Water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A few answers for you are in your other thread. As was posted over there, an energy audit of your proposed use is the first step for figuring battery capacity, inverter size, and what you'll need for a charger.

I'd suggest you think a bit about the MSW vs. TS inverter situation. The price spread is not that much anymore and when modern electronics and their charging systems need to be powered, you may wish for that TS inverter.

There are available, also, charger inverters that have built in transfer switches. The entry price is high but it does make everything a bit more seamless.

On a side note: What are you hunting out of that camp? I'm a hunter, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GCs are normally rated at 230AH, so 2 in series gives you 12V at 230AH. A 1500W inverter can draw 1500W/12V=125A at 12V. Actually add 10% more draw due to losses. So depending upon your inverter loads it won't take long to use 115AH or 50% SOC.

DC charging from your gen will be very very slow. Use instead the AC output to a say 50A multiple stage battery charger. When you want to use high loads like a coffee pot, etc don't use the inverter, instead run the gen and use AC. Then use a much smaller inverter.

Unless you take the batteries home for charging you have another problem. You can reach 85% SOC with several hours of charging. 100% takes many more hours of gen run time. How are you going to accomplish this before heading home? So you either take the batteries home, add solar or accept shorter battery life.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like leaving flooded batteries to fend for themselves for months at a time. Period.

AGM can be charged then left disconnected. Downside is cost per amp hour. Unsupervised boondock flooded batteries are a slow-motion (niner-bikes loves this expression) Train Wreck. Hauling a bunch of slopping batteries is a PITA. But security against break-in and theft is an issue.

Hunting and poker hangovers are demanding physical trials.

My vote leans heavily toward AGM...

MrWizard
Moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
you can do anything you want, it just depends on what you want to spend. and often do you want to run your generator?

as for charging batteries, the 12volt side of my honda doesn't really charge very quickly, assume that your generator will be the same. get a 110 chargers to charge the batteries.
as for what kind of batteries, any will do just depends on what you want to spend. maybe start with interstate, a couple of 12 volts and go from there.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Batteries? Bigger is always better. Golf cart batteries will last longer and give longer service life. So cost per year is far lower. But they also require more room.