cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical issues

USAFRet94
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador and am having issues with both the 12 volt DC and 115 Volt AC circuits. The unit was in the shop for several months getting a new floor and having some body work done. When got it back the chassis electrics worked but, nothing else. The inverter charger has a fault light on saying check battery temp & batteries (house) overcharged. All house and chassis batteries are new and all are fully charged. The 12 volt battery switch will not stay engaged. Hooking up to shore power makes no difference and the generator will not start. All fuses and circuit breakers are fine. If, the inverter charger is bad will it keep the entire chassis system from operating? Is their anyway to bypass it to get the lights and generator to work?Trying to get an idea on where to start. Thanks for any suggestions
8 REPLIES 8

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ISTR inverter-chargers require 12v to work at all, unlike converters which can work with only 120v.

OP says he is getting fault signals from his I/C, so he is getting 12v to the I/C if that is correct. Where from?

The shop screwed up (assuming they also put in the new batteries), so they should fix it.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree with above. Something happened during the work, if the problem did not pre-exist. Cut, pinched or unhooked wire. Do you have anything working off of 12V? Disconnect your shore 120V when testing. Lights, pump, CO monitor, slides.....

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate to even add this BUT, after working on my floor(replacing it in many places), there is a Large amount of both low volt and high volt electrical running in grooving under the floor. I was very careful taking my time removing and replacing but I could imagine a disaster happening if you cut thru something you shouldn't. I Hope this is Not the case! Good Luck....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW A $10 voltmeter can really be helpful to find the issue.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
First guess is batteries not connected correctly.
Check for fuse in 12 volt DC feeding the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the shop disconnected the house battery? Some of your AC appliances may require DC to operate hence fixing the DC may solve all of the issues. Some chargers will not charge a dead house battery so load test it to be sure it's OK.

You can use another charger to maintain the house batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My initial thought was that the batteries are bad or they got hooked up wrong when they were replaced.
I might be able to help you some over the phone so give me a call whenever you can.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d start at the batteries double check things are right.