cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electricial 30 to 50 amp connection

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan on camping at a campground that only has 50 amp spots left. My mini winnie has a 30 amp power cord, Will there be problems if I use a 50 30 amp bone adapter. Do i have to stick with 30 amp? I know there have been other post on this subject but I have no experience with electric/thanks
18 REPLIES 18

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen and Sjm9911,

Thanks for the memory "refresh"!

I always preferred Square D.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I think that was Federal Pacific! Original paperwork said you had to cycle the breakers every six months. Not for sure it was six months, but somewhere around that. Believe it was around the time original company went out of business.

It was definitely federal pacific. And they will not insure your home if they know you have that box in your house. They are known to start fires.

What they said, but i think your site will have the 30 amp hook up also, call to find out.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the thing (if it has not already been clearly stated). You have a 30 amp coach and that's a fact that cannot be changed by plugging into a 50 amp plug. The good news is that plugging into a 50 amp plug with the proper 50/30 amp dogleg adapter is not a bad thing. It just does not change the fact that you have a 30 amp coach and you still cannot use more than a total of 30 amps total. 50 amp coaches are able to use 100 amps with 50 amps spread between 2 separate 50 amp legs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most 50 amp sites also have 30 amp outlets but on the off chance the one you plan to go to does not take a dogbone with you.

In fact take a dog bone with you even if it DOES have 30 amp outlets

I've seen parks where for one reason or another (IE short blades on the RV's plug) the 30 amp outlet did not work but plugging into a dogbone and that into 50 worked fine. That's why I carry a full set of adapters from just about everything to just about everything Both 30-50 and 50-30 as well as 15 amp adapters.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I think that was Federal Pacific! Original paperwork said you had to cycle the breakers every six months. Not for sure it was six months, but somewhere around that. Believe it was around the time original company went out of business.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
The NEC has complete article that pertains to RVs, Article 551.
Breakers are a UL standards and not NEC. Many breakers have tolerance of 10 percent plus or minus of their rated value. Old days, better manufacturers like Square D, were made at a 5 per cent tolerance. Those days are gone!

Things could be worse. Federal Pioneer had a 100 amp main breaker--it would melt before it would trip. Those days are gone, too!

However, I try to limit my consumption to 24 amps on a 30 amp pedestal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The NEC has complete article that pertains to RVs, Article 551.
Breakers are a UL standards and not NEC. Many breakers have tolerance of 10 percent plus or minus of their rated value. Old days, better manufacturers like Square D, were made at a 5 per cent tolerance. Those days are gone!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œDo i have to stick with 30 amp?โ€œ

Absolutely donโ€™t try to plug in without a 50 to 30 adapter.

To clarify:

You can either plug your 30 amp shore power cord directly into a 30 amp shore power outlet OR

Using a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter into a 50 amp outlet.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œDo i have to stick with 30 amp?โ€œ

Absolutely donโ€™t try to plug in without a 50 to 30 adapter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
The adapter works fine as it only uses one of the 50 amp breakers. You are still limited to 30 amp by your rig however. And 30 amp really means 24 amps since all breakers are limited to 80% of their rating for continuous power.

Most of the time you are better off using the 50 amp breaker if you have the adapter since the 50 amp sockets on the power pedestals are usually in better condition than the 30 amp sockets. They are used less. I'm speaking as a camp host.

Have a great day.

NOT TRUE. Are you stating that if your continous amp draw exceeds 24/25 amps the main 30 amp breaker or the individual breakers will trip? EXPLAIN your reasoning and don't attempt to use the NEC code which does not take into account RV type systems. Doug
Usually this comes up when one of the cord connectors sustains heat damage.
I agree 30 amps is fine. Although I also agree for a virtually continuous load it is best to stay a little under the 30 amps.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
edatlanta wrote:
The adapter works fine as it only uses one of the 50 amp breakers. You are still limited to 30 amp by your rig however. And 30 amp really means 24 amps since all breakers are limited to 80% of their rating for continuous power.

Most of the time you are better off using the 50 amp breaker if you have the adapter since the 50 amp sockets on the power pedestals are usually in better condition than the 30 amp sockets. They are used less. I'm speaking as a camp host.

Have a great day.

NOT TRUE. Are you stating that if your continous amp draw exceeds 24/25 amps the main 30 amp breaker or the individual breakers will trip? EXPLAIN your reasoning and don't attempt to use the NEC code which does not take into account RV type systems. Doug

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 50 to 30 amp adapter, and on every trip have found at least one site that only had 50 amp receptacles. Usually in commercial RV parks that cater to permanent residents.

I've also sometimes used it when the 30 amp receptacle in a campground is in bad shape or when the 30 amp receptacle is providing low voltage. The heavier wiring for the 50 amp sometimes provides higher voltage in campgrounds with overloaded systems.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I do like DickB and always use the 50 to 30 for my 30 amp service

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to see a spot that dosen't have both hook ups. Most power polls have a 50, 30 and a 20 amp hook up if they list 50 amp service. I do carry the adaptor just incase. There only like 20 bucks on amazon.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.