cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electricity usage in a week

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
I have been keeping track of my electricity usage this year and I want to pose a question. I read my meter on Sunday before I leave the site and again on the following Friday when I arrive. I have noticed that I am using about 10KWH in that amount of time. Now the only things I can think of that might be drawing electricity is the TV and Satellite receiver, the Propane detector and the converter/Charger. I am running my fridge on propane so none there. Is this a reasonable amount of electricity to use in 5 days? Thanks
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K
20 REPLIES 20

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the responses so far. I am running the water heater on Propane and the electric switch remains off at all times. The water heater propane is turned off when I leave on Sunday and turned back on on Friday. The fridge is running on propane only and the TV (23inch Samsung flat panel) and Sat receiver (Bell Expressvu 6130) and the propane detector and Stereo are the only things I can think of that would be drawing minimal power. The microwave is unplugged and we don't use it. The wall clock is battery operated on a AA battery. The only other thing would be the battery charger in the converter. I bought a new marine battery last year to run the trailer. If the trailer is plugged in to shore power, can I turn off the battery disconnect switch and still have the fridge light? It is not the money that is the issue here. I just think that the consumption is rather high and I want to know if it is or not.
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
brulaz wrote:

The Rogue MPPT controller puts out a median daily 10Ah to maintain the batts with all that stuff on. That may include what the Rogue uses too.

When not generating energy, Rogue itself uses very little, 0.26 AH in 24 hours.

Battery self-discharge is also a contributing factor. Battery in a good shape can draw anywhere from 0.2 AH to a few AH a day, depending on battery type, size and condition, and on ambient temperature (faster self-discharge when hotter).

Hmmm, out of curiosity, I'll isolate the batteries for a few days and see what the Rogue puts out just to maintain them alone.

As for what the Rogue uses, I'm just not sure whether that's included in what it displays as Ah to the batteries. It might rather be the difference between the solar Wh input versus Ah output.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
brulaz wrote:

The Rogue MPPT controller puts out a median daily 10Ah to maintain the batts with all that stuff on. That may include what the Rogue uses too.

When not generating energy, Rogue itself uses very little, 0.26 AH in 24 hours.

Battery self-discharge is also a contributing factor. Battery in a good shape can draw anywhere from 0.2 AH to a few AH a day, depending on battery type, size and condition, and on ambient temperature (faster self-discharge when hotter).

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
When not using our trailer, I turn off the frig, hot water tank and water pump. I do not disconnect the batteries.

That leaves the CO and propane monitors, the radio (off but clock is displayed), the 12V TV (off but LED is on), a LED on the auxiliary 12V sockets, and the converter/chargers (LEDs, but not plugged in to 110V).

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRS & B wrote:
Googled electricity consumption by appliances while in the standby mode. I figured the ones operating at 110 volts would dwarf the stuff operating at 12 volts. ...

I'm still guessing the extra 8 kWh comes from keeping water hot or maintaining a dying battery on life support.

Yes. There can be standby currents on many items. MW has a bright LED clock running all the time, radio/CD and sat TV are all drawing something while in standby. Sat receiver alone can draw 50 or 70W, and a not-too-efficient TV would draw another 70W while running, plus something on standby.

The OP needs to get his own watt-meter. Or - shut some devices off, for a day or two, and see what happens. Not just "turn off" - unplug it or pull the fuse. Make sure the water heater runs on LP, to eliminate one suspect. Could be a bad battery too, drawing too much current from converter.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Sounds about right to me.
That's about $15.

Unless power in Phoenix is $1.50/kWh, I think you missed a
decimal place. At $0.15/kWH, it would be $1.50 per week.

You are right. I did miss the decimal point. Guess I'm getting too old.
At $1.50 per week, that is real cheap.

My elec usually runs about $90 per month.

Jerry.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A milliamp here and a milliamp there

Pretty soon we are talking about some real current.

Dang! The joke failed!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
JRS & B wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER - Our Direct TV HD DVR's go into a sleep mode if not used for 4 hours. So the newer receivers are more frugal.

Receiver might but does the antenna. My Roadtrip Mission is constantly seaking. Also, sleep still draws a bit of power.

You might consider some of these

to kill non essentials quickly.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Sounds about right to me.
That's about $15.

Unless power in Phoenix is $1.50/kWh, I think you missed a
decimal place. At $0.15/kWH, it would be $1.50 per week.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Googled electricity consumption by appliances while in the standby mode. I figured the ones operating at 110 volts would dwarf the stuff operating at 12 volts. It seems like the biggest ones are rear projection televisions and then microwave ovens. But, on average, those two combined only draw about 10 watts. So the two big guys use around 1.2 kWh in 5 days (10 x 24 x 5).

I'm still guessing the extra 8 kWh comes from keeping water hot or maintaining a dying battery on life support.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER - Our Direct TV HD DVR's go into a sleep mode if not used for 4 hours. So the newer receivers are more frugal.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Converter can sit there drawing one amp afaik.
1 x 120 x 24 x 5 = 2.88 kWh right there. Maybe it draws 2 or 3 amps while in use.
Clamp-on ammeter would tell the story.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had a home Dish Netwreck receiver that consumed 50 watts while picking its nose.

Are RV receivers more energy frugal?

Hello KILL-O-WATT and a half hour's worth of looking...

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
kampinguru wrote:
I have noticed that I am using about 10KWH in that amount of time. Now the only things I can think of that might be drawing electricity is the TV and Satellite receiver, the Propane detector and the converter/Charger. I am running my fridge on propane so none there. Is this a reasonable amount of electricity to use in 5 days? Thanks

10,000/5/13=153 AH. A little high, considering fridge in LP mode. LP fridge still draws current, about 10-13 AH/day, 0.7-1.0 KWH in 5 days. With the loads that you mentioned, it should be around 5 KWH or 7 KWH in 5 days. Unless you've missed some things out, like ceiling fans many hours a day, MW, laptop etc. With all those extras it can easily be 10 KWH. Or - if you're watching sat TV more than 8 hours a day.