cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elevated Fridge Temp Issue

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on leaving in two days for a three week camping trip but am concerned about fridge interior temp on a Norcold N81X Model N811FRT. Here is what I know:

Fridge location: slide
Fridge interior temp: 60 F
Freezer temp: 0 F
Outside temp: 96 F
Trailer interior temp:78 F (running A/C)
Fan output temp: 114 F (just before the fin assy)
Operation: propane
Temp setting: 5 (max cold)
Indicator lights: gas light on other indicator green
Fan: operating and sounds normal
Burner: can see blue flame
Time on: 20 hours turned on last night outside temp was 78 this morning. Set A/C thermostat for 75 F
Internal fan: Yes standard 2 D cell fridge fan.

We have prepped all of our trailers during the high 90s many times and don't think we have had this issue. This trailer is 2 years old and the fridge has always been operated level. The fridge was removed this spring to replace the warped slide floor. We used the trailer once since then for a Easter campout with cooler temps and it seemed to be ok and food and drink seemed to be pretty cold.

I would like some technical input on this issue so we can make a decision about taking this trip.

Thanks
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10
19 REPLIES 19

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
How and where did you measure the interior temp? Is the fridge empty? Do you have an interior fan?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
From the DE-EV0061 Owner's Manual - may not be relevant, or it might?

"CAUTION: Do not operate the refrigerator when the
ambient temperature is higher than 110ยฐ F. Operation of
the refrigerator when the ambient temperature is higher
than 110ยฐ F will start the over heating shut-off device on
models DE0041T and DE0061T only. See the โ€œOverheating
shut-off deviceโ€ section.
Operation of other models when the ambient temperature
is higher than 110ยฐ F. can cause poor cooling
performance and permanent damage to the compressor."

Note the warning/reference to other models and the ambient temperature. I know it may be apples/oranges, but a lot of this fridge thermal stuff applies across the board.
Based on your posted numbers, you may be pretty close to too hot outside, but your inside trailer temp is reasonable. I'm not sure how much of an effect the external air temperature has on the fridge, but some part of it has to be exposed to those temps, if only the back side and the external venting, if any. Food for thought? (sorry, no pun intended)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried it on electric?

I have similar issues with my N811, but my box temp was lower, but after loading with food I coudn't get the thermometer to read below 40 I was lucky to get 50. Haven't come to a conclusion yet. However, certain things froze in the fridge box and I also have an interior fan. That made me wonder about the thermometer. But my ice cream was also VERY soft. Sorry, not helping.

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
Turn it off and get a technician these norcold refrigerators burned down motorhomes they have a heating element to help it defrost and they catch on fire this is very abnormal for a refrigerator not to cool down in the interior box when the freezer is down to zero this refrigerator has a problem find the technician turn it off before it burns down your house
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I added a second exterior fan and an interior fan for the same problem. Haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will do the trick.