cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS / Surge Protector

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of ordering our next home (Grand Design Momentum 397th). We will be getting a Surge protector / Energy management systems. Currently trying to chose between Hughes Voltage booster or their Surge protectors. What do you use/recommend. Any other brand better? Not worried about the cost since it will be protecting our home. Thanks for you Advice/Knowledge
24 REPLIES 24

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Get the Hughes booster and the PI HW50C.

X2

I have both but in the 30amp version. An EMS does not boost low power and most power boosters do not give the protection that an EMS does. With both you are pretty safe from most hazards.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Go with the top of the line autoformer with built in surge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
sgtcoffey wrote:
We are in the process of ordering our next home (Grand Design Momentum 397th). We will be getting a Surge protector / Energy management systems. Currently trying to chose between Hughes Voltage booster or their Surge protectors. What do you use/recommend. Any other brand better? Not worried about the cost since it will be protecting our home. Thanks for you Advice/Knowledge

Well. my install in line format

Shore power---Hughes Autoformer (installed) --- Surge Guard (See note) --ATS (Auto transfer switch) To breaker box to everythign.

Note: I used a TRC/Surgewire "Surge Guard" 50 amp (Cause that's what my Rig was) The top end hard wired with wired remote. Still have the Surge guard (not the remote) Because of the Hughes install kit I "modified" the Surge guard to make it a plug in model (Basically, heck LITERALLY put male and female pigtails on it and protected the connections against accidental contact)

I am told Hughes makes an "All in one" but do not know how it measures up to the system I had. Have never seen one.. Oh. when the Insurance bought the RV after what I thought was a MINOR accident.. I kept the above stuff.

I did not feel the need to protect when using generator

One of the CGs (actually a few of 'em) are a touch. er. anemic, when it comes to VOLTAGE and the Autoformer fixed that.

The Surge guard protected me when the power "Blinked" (went out for just a second or two) A bad connection park side (Twice) and other park side issues. had I plugged into 240 volts I do not know if the Hughes would have fried but I never did that Happens when you think it's a 30 amp RV outlet but it's for a welder or other 240 volt device)

I would have PREFERRED to get a Progressive Industries HW-50c but the price on the TRC/surgewire (on sale) was too good to pass up. Southwire upgraded the warranty to match PI's anyway

But as I said it found a host of park side issues and assisted me in a few other issues (Diagnosis) as it was super fast with the remote to diagnose stuff.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Low voltage is as damaging as high voltage/surges. Hughes autoformer with surge protection.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgtcoffey wrote:
We are stationary at an RV resort right now will be on the road soon
Are you going to be on shore power all the time?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgtcoffey wrote:
Hughes does not show a PI HW50C on their web site

They are 2 different companies and make different devices.
Progressive Industries EMS HW50C

Hughes Autoformers
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
Hughes does not show a PI HW50C on their web site

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
We are stationary at an RV resort right now will be on the road soon

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the Hughes booster and the PI HW50C.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you spending most of your time in an RV park?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman