Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Example Lifeline Storage Voltage Slump

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
31 XT Lifeline

Purchased 2013

Off, temp / correct float since 07 Feb 2020. (Disconnected)

Storage voltage this morning

I suspect too many batteries are stored too long without top charging before they are sold.

Average temperature 60ยฐF

And keep in mind this is a 7 year old battery.
3 REPLIES 3

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • The post provides a hard data example not guesswork
  • Check voltage before buying any battery
  • Vendors love to rotate stock and the oldest inventory will be in front
  • perhaps one vendor in a hundred will charge his inventory.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what this OP is all about, but concur that you must charge up any battery you buy new off the shelf. It will not be "full" when you get it, and might be a bit sulphated too.

Recently got new Wet 6s at a store with slow sales on 6s. So dated Feb, bought in April, it took three runs with the 1093 VECDBD set to 4 amps and with Equalize set. Ran for some hours first time, and SG was not up, second run still SG not up all the way, then third run success! SG up to a decent baseline SG around 1.290

Same with car batteries--got to charge them up on getting them home. AGMs too. I have no experience with Li batts, but I would do the same first thing I got one home to see it balancing at the top end for sure, and also to then be able to reset the AH counter to zero.

I would not get any battery home and just slap it on the solar or converter to float or whatever comes next. Might just be firming in the lower capacity from being on the shelf as your starting point instead of cleaning that up first, then going from there.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seven years seems fairly good to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad