cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excellent video on brake repacking

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I stumbled on this video and this guy has the most comprehensive trailer drum brake repacking video that I have ever seen. I learned a lot from watching this and only wish that I had seen it before I did all four wheels earlier this year. He even shows a tool that allows you to set the brakes from the inside: Brake Setting Gauge

Anyway take a look at this, I see he has an earlier vidio on redoing the suspension too that I have not watched yet.
RV Living Yet
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
22 REPLIES 22

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
I sure wouldn't be doing that job in that environment, I'd be working on concrete

Well some of us don't have a concrete pad, you know Rural America? I do use a much larger piece of cardboard under the wheel tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use that bearing packing tool that Old-Biscuit has pictured. It works really well, gets a nice even solid pack, and forces out any old grease, that may have been missed.

Jerry

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
repacking brakes???
cpaulsen

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good overall tutorial on the process. I do mine essentially the same way. I do it where I park it on gravel.. Big piece of cardboard under the axle and my foam pad squares saves the knees!

I don't do any of that measuring stuff.. I don't use that packing tool.. I have one. Used it once. Just do the palm method and works great.

When I adjust the brakes I use the manual adjuster from the rear and get it to a point where it has drag and then back off a tick or two so that I just hear it scraping, but can still rotate a couple of turns with a good spin.

For setting the nut, I like to turn it tight while turning the drum then back off and then hand tight to where the cotter pin goes thru. As long as there is no play in the drum to the spindle, it's good.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Been doing that on wheel bearings since I was a kid doing them on the family car back in the 80's.

My current trailer has the self adjusting brakes and the zerk on the front and I've done that last year, but I'll probably pull them before this camping season, just to look at the new setup.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Scary what we see here.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I sure wouldn't be doing that job in that environment, I'd be working on concrete

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brake Repacking?

And with all those 'special' tools I'm surprised he doesn't have a 'bearing packing tool'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31